Blackhorn 209

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Do any of yall shoot it, if so do you like it? What are the advantages and disavantages of it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot it and love it..the advantages are its clean burning,very little smoke,very little clean-up after shot,instant ignition..the only disadvantages are its a little pricey and sometimes a little hard to find.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I may be so bold to tag along...do you guys that shoot it measure by weight or volume? I've seen it measured both ways.
And TMC, if you find any locally please send me a heads up, I'd like to try it this year.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If I may be so bold to tag along...do you guys that shoot it measure by weight or volume? I've seen it measured both ways.
And TMC, if you find any locally please send me a heads up, I'd like to try it this year.
I've done it both ways and in my opinion it isn't that volatile and not worth the time and effort to weigh

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Eric Revo i checked the Gun Store on old 52 in lexington yesterday, they are out but have more on order.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

My first initial response was that you measure by volume but I've seen some changes in the Blackhorn 209 website. The load data for muzzleloaders is listed using volumetric units.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/b209muzzleloaderdata.pdf

In their FAQ, they provide a conversion for people who want to weigh their loads instead of by volume. It's listed as #5 in the FAQ. You multiple the volume load by 0.7 to get the grains by weight.
http://www.blackhorn209.com/faqs/

Since I find it easy and convenient to measure by volume, that is what I do. But your question is interesting. Since there can be variability in the size of the grains, there may be slight differences in the loads by weight. As an experiment, one could measure out ten 100 grains by volume loads and then weigh them to see if there is any difference. If there is a difference, decide if that difference will make much of a difference in accuracy.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've done that comparison and it won't from my experience

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seems like using the TC Clearview powder measure that has the swinging spout so you can't pile up the charge there was less than 3 grains variance and it just isn't sensitive enough to make much of a difference

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Seems like using the TC Clearview powder measure that has the swinging spout so you can't pile up the charge there was less than 3 grains variance and it just isn't sensitive enough to make much of a difference

Interesting powder measure. I use a similar one in brass. It would be nice to see the powder in the tube.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It's great stuff and I'm not going back to the other brands. I've shot it both ways and honestly don't see a difference but then I'm not concerned with tiny groups like I used to be. If I can hit a coke can size target 3x at 100 yards I'm happy...

firedawg60

Twelve Pointer
I am reading on another forum that it's now available at a lot of Walmart ( yeah, I know) stores for $36 and change. I haven't checked any to see for myself, but it may be an option as it's hard to find and pricey when I do otherwise.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

I switched to it last year and I measure it by volume, 100grs. No plans on switching to anything else unless it is better than BH209.

I'm switching away from Powerbelts to 250gr Hornady SST this year and plan to shoot the ML next week.

<>< Fish

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I switched to it last year and I measure it by volume, 100grs. No plans on switching to anything else unless it is better than BH209.

I'm switching away from Powerbelts to 250gr Hornady SST this year and plan to shoot the ML next week.

<>< Fish
Just for you guys information it appears that Walmart is stocking Blackhorn 209 in limited quality quantities this year. I just picked some up at our local Walmart store.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Have any of you BH209 users shot over a chronograph to check actual vs. claimed velocity yet?

<>< Fish

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you guys notice a difference in performance with different primers? If so, which do you prefer?
I have boxes and boxes of 209's for the muzzleloader but understand that these can't be used for the Blackhorn powder.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Do you guys notice a difference in performance with different primers? If so, which do you prefer?
I have boxes and boxes of 209's for the muzzleloader but understand that these can't be used for the Blackhorn powder.
I was told to use 209 winchester because they are hotter

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Blackhorn recommends CCI 209M but I personally hate them since in my experience they are the dirtiest of them all. After an extreme amount of testing by what I would call a modern muzzleloader guru it was found that the Fiochi 616 primers were the most accurate followed by winchester and federal tied for second. Blackhorn is not hard to ignite at all just don't use the Rem Kleanbore or 777 primers and you will be fine.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Blackhorn recommends CCI 209M but I personally hate them since in my experience they are the dirtiest of them all. After an extreme amount of testing by what I would call a modern muzzleloader guru it was found that the Fiochi 616 primers were the most accurate followed by winchester and federal tied for second. Blackhorn is not hard to ignite at all just don't use the Rem Kleanbore or 777 primers and you will be fine.
You must be talking about Carlos at Ed's gun shop.