New to fishing

justinj21496

I've decided I'd like to start fishing, but I don't know where to begin. What kind of rod set up and tackle should I get? And are there good fish to begin fishing for or should I just fish for what's around me? Any other advice is much appreciated!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I've decided I'd like to start fishing, but I don't know where to begin. What kind of rod set up and tackle should I get? And are there good fish to begin fishing for or should I just fish for what's around me? Any other advice is much appreciated!

fresh or salt?

if fresh most of us started on panfish of some kind. i think brim are the most frequent starter fish. push button (spincast) reels are the easiest.

combos available in any walmart or bass pro shop.

about a million videos to explain everything available on line.

farm ponds or lakes with bank access are good spots to start.

april is a nice time to start imo, everything is biting and the weather isnt an issue.

many of the absolute best anglers i know started just like you, with just desire. no long lineage of fishing or mentors to hold their hand.

Last edited:

justinj21496

I was thinking bream was a good place to start. Do you have any advice on what lures to get and when to use them?

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Get you an ultralight reel and rod. Some #6 light wire hooks and some crickets or worms and some slip bobbers. In the spring about the time blackberries start blooming, walk the banks and look for "nests". The bottom in ~2' of water will basically look like the dimples on a golf ball. Cast your cricket or worm in the nests or right on the backside closest to deep water and hang on and have fun.