Things discovered while scouting or hunting

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
In the 50 years or so that I've wandered the woods, I've run across what I thought to be just about everything. I've discovered old homesteads and all of the treasures they give up. I've found loads of Native American and Confederate artifacts. I've found every type of vehicle and farm equipment from new to antique. I've found almost every imaginable article of men's and women's clothing :eek:, and witnessed more than my share of "discreet meetings". I have found most forms "illegal" recreation being made or grown. I've even found a body in the hills of Arkansas :eek: . Most of my discoveries have been well off the beaten path as I tend to do serious walkabouts. Today, I found the dangedest thing yet. About 2 miles deep in a property that I've owned for ~ 6 years, I found a fully intact coconut!!!:D:D There's never been a homestead there and it was clear cut and reforested over 30 years ago. One road in and out and like I said, it was 2 miles from that road. This kind of thing is another of the hundreds of reasons that I love doing what I do to make a living :):).

><>

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
thats odd.....

Best i have is an old Rambo type survival knife, AR 30rd mag full, old plow points, arrow heads and thats about it...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That is definitely strange...

I found an old Marlin bolt action .22 on my parents property right after they bought it. It hadn't been there too long though, maybe a month or so.

Briargoat

Ten Pointer
I've found all kinds of things to, never a dead body though. One of the coolest things was an old moonshine still.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wonder if that coconut couldn't have been blown ashore in flooding from one of the hurricanes that came through your neck of the woods.

I remember finding a bowling ball in our front yard in Key West once following a big storm/flood. It came from the next door neighbor's backyard shed which had blown open during the night.

mekanizm

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Found a Coleman canoe with food, .22 rifle, tacklebox, fishing rods with 6" of mosquito infested water in it. It was hung up on a river bend about 15 miles downstream of a powerplant dam. I contacted the three surrounding counties Sheriffs Offices and the TN Wildlife Resources Agencies for the areas. I actually expected a drowning but most likely a dam release washed it away while beached at a camp or stopping point somewhere. I made every effort to locate the owner but to no avail. No missing persons reported either.

hunter930

Six Pointer
I was out running and gunning for turkeys once, when nature called. I had no paper.....so I postponed the call. Walked up on a whole roll of dry tp in the middle of no where. Was very thankful.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Yall have found some really cool stuff! Wish i could stumble on some of that. The best thing ive found was a big gerber knife and grunt call. What else have yall found?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MCJ1980

Ten Pointer
My daughter and I found an old moonshine still on the back part of my parents property. Asked my dad about it and apparently my grandad and great uncles weren't just farmers.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
One day while living in SC I was walking in the Great Pee Dee River Swamp just scouting around, an old dirt road ran through the section I was in. A set of car tracks was visible going off into a sandy area of the woods so I followed them. About 50 yards off the old dirt road a red and white Chevrolet truck had been cut up into pieces by an acetylene torch.. Everything was gone out of it, nothing but cut up body left..Like someone else said, I have lost more out in the woods than I have ever found..

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
I always find knives. At 1 fishing spot I found 2 knives 1 time and 3 separate times I've found 3 single knives.

I walked the Colorado trail in 1995 and found lots of stuff. The coolest find was an old sluice box wired to a tree. There was a date on it was 1890. We left it for someone else to find.

Found a bowling pin once pretty far from any trail or road. How it got there I don't know, but it's fun wondering

lilbilly

Love this kind of thing, mainly because I never find anything interesting hunting urban. Cool stories.

Sent from my Nexus 5

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Located some pot plants in the woods. I found a softball this yr in the middle of a swamp, nearest house has no kids. Found a balloon near a ground blind, but can't remember where it was released from. Friend found a car on their club in eastern NC that had been stolen in Maryland.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
While deer hunting found a balloon that had been released as a class room project by a Second Grade girl. Each student in the class had released a balloon to see how far it would travel. Found the balloon in Davie County and it had come from North Wilkesboro. Sent the girl a note and got a nice Christmas Card from the family telling us that the girl had won second place. Only one other balloon had traveled farther than hers.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wonder if a swallow could have dropped the coconut? Not a European swallow by per chance an African swallow?

Lots of dump sites around where I hunt. I find old bottles regularly.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
I hunt on base and i have found a vietnam era m16,and a f4u corsair crash site. Found the wing and engine.

sent via carrier pigeons in jacksonville nc

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384088338985.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384088338985.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384088361595.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384088361595.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 12
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384088380744.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384088380744.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 12

pinkfletch

Ten Pointer
I have found old cut up stills and about 40 years ago found an "active" still that I very discretely made my way away from. I have found a softball that was wedged into the fork of a tree and the tree had started growing around it. Found a U.S.M.C. machete in a pine that fully grown around the blade, I went back and cut the tree down and still have the machete. I have found several knives also (I don't understand how someone can just leave a good knife). Several hats, jackets, shirts, pants and a pair of LaCross boots that had been there for years. But the most unusal thing was in the area I hunted for years was that every year I would find at least 1 golf ball out in the middle of mature woods that were usually too thick to even swing a club......one of my buddies joked that someone must have dropped them from an airplane just to mystify anyone that might find them.