Back from deer forum District 9

Would you support a 4 antlerless deer (max) season limit?

• Yes

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • No

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Makes no difference to me what the doe limit is

Votes: 7 10.4%

• Total voters

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The biggest thing wasn't the methodology, it was the questions themselves. They could have easily isolated individual options, but instead gave a bunch of questions that only had multiple (loosely related) regulations grouped together. As such, many of us felt forced into choosing predetermined sets of regulations rather than dealing with them one at a time.

Even if they are able to ask enough questions to isolate the individual variables, which I doubt, it seems convoluted to the survey taker. It would have been much more straightforward to ask about a specific regulation and then give several multiple choice answers that could be ranked in order of preference.

As it was, I think hunters felt like they were not able to specify their preference accurately.

Yelp, that is sure how I felt.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
According to the survey they said a majority of hunters supported a 2 buck limit across the state They do have county level data as well I think there is a good chance 2 bucks statewide is coming up for 2018 hearings

That is exactly why I would like to see the results (% returned surveys by region) to see just who the NCWRC is referred to as majority hunters across the state. In other words those in one region could have been out weighed by those respondents in the other regions and the statistics would reflect that a majority of hunters in the state prefer one choice over the other. One thing. I know for sure is statistics have a way of being twisted to accomplish a certain out come. That is one problem I had with the questions of the survey and I didn't know which would be worse play by the NCWRC rules or let other hunters in the survey have all the say. As mentioned earlier the answers to the questions that were offered made the respondents make choices that they may not have made if other options were given. It was not how you fell about an issue, but rather which would you rather give up. The survey was forced compromise when a issue did not have to be tied to another.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
It sounded to me that hunters in the coast even supported a 2 buck limit

You would have to attend and ask them for a breakdown for your area.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
And if you believe that well, SMDH.

I do. I believe a majority of survey respondents in each area of the state is OK with a statewide 2 buck limit.

Otherwise the NCWRC would have rejected it like they have before and it would not have made the discussion.

It seemed to me they put hunter preference before anything else. Because deer hunters bring in the $$$$ to the agency.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably easier to tabulate results.........regardless of hunter's opinions!!:p

Seems to me it would be harder to sort out what hunters really want when you are dealing with 4 variables in each question. You'd have to ask 100 questions to narrow it down. I would think it would be a lot easier to tabulate if they were dealt with individually. But I'm sure they have a reason for it. The only thing I could think of was to prevent hunters from trying to "have their cake and eat it too". I.E. We want more numbers and more antlerless harvest. I can understand that, but what I couldn't figure out was the multiple variables weren't directly related.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Seems to me it would be harder to sort out what hunters really want when you are dealing with 4 variables in each question. You'd have to ask 100 questions to narrow it down. I would think it would be a lot easier to tabulate if they were dealt with individually. But I'm sure they have a reason for it. The only thing I could think of was to prevent hunters from trying to "have their cake and eat it too". I.E. We want more numbers and more antlerless harvest. I can understand that, but what I couldn't figure out was the multiple variables weren't directly related.

They were randomly computer generated

on some questions

jscar

Four Pointer
moving the western rifle season to be open most of december is stupid. NCWR says the rut in the mountains occurs in december. They have said theyvhave some data that the rut is during that month. If so why do I see bucks breeding in November. The rut in most states can be any where from oct to january. If any change to the western deer season should be week before, during, and after thanksgiving. The weather in the mountains during december makes it almost impossible to hunt. Extreme cold, snow, rain , high winds. Not a good idea!

Last edited:

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Not entirely, Crc if their line of questioning was leading, then it's not a question of hunters supporting a 2 buck rule in as much as they prefer that to the more drastic alternatives on the questionnaire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
moving the western rifle season to be open most of december is stupid. NCWR says the rut in the mountains occurs in december. They have said theyvhave some data that the rut is during that month. If so why do I see bucks breeding in November. The rut in most states can be any where from oct to january. If any change to the western deer season should be week before, during, and after thanksgiving. The weather in the mountains during december makes it almost impossible to hunt. Extreme cold, snow, rain , high winds. Not a good idea!

they do have that data in fawn gestation info. they have it by area in the state.

It's all here:

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0...ion-of-Deer-Hunting-Seasons-and-Mgt-Units.pdf

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Not entirely, Crc if their line of questioning was leading, then it's not a question of hunters supporting a 2 buck rule in as much as they prefer that to the more drastic alternatives on the questionnaire

Many of the survey questions were different for each person.

No person got the same set of questions but they showed hunters put an importance on long gun seasons first compared to the other 4 metrics.

The purpose of a lot of question was to find out what the rank of the 5 metrics were in importance (again it was said hunters do not want a reduction in either-sex days and opportunity but NCWRC wants to stablize the herd. Current regs in 90% of the state are set up for herd reduction/high doe kills).

Again the 5 metrics being discussed for change are:

length of gun season
timing of gun season
length of blackpowder season
antlerless bag limits
antlered bag limits

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
img012_zpsxr7qvrqh.jpg

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Sorry CRC, forgot who I was speaking with for a moment and tried logic. Even if the question format differed slightly from person to person that does in no way ensure a none leading survey as the only answers available to the taker are established by the survey......
This is like asking which you prefer?
A. Getting kicked in the nutts.
B. Getting Castrated.
C. Multiple amputations.
D. Cancer
Now I'm no survey expert but I'd wager 99.9% of all men would go with (A). This does not mean that 99.9 of men enjoy nutt shots, just that it's the lesser of the evils in the example.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I don't see anything wrong with the survey, your either willing to compromise or your not. If your not, then nothing is going to change, so they gave you middle of the road answers and not extremes one way or the other, they gave us answers that were changes that actually have a chance of being implemented.

Last edited:

Speed1

Eight Pointer
I don't see anything wrong with the survey, your either willing to compromise or your not. If your not, then nothing is going to change, so they gave you middle of the road answers and not extremes one way or the other, they gave us answers that were changes that actually have a chance of being implemented.

I agree with that. It would be ridiculous to have one specific answer to questions. Everyone has their opinion of what THEY want. The survey was intended for just that, compromise.

Twitmore

Four Pointer
what are the chances of this actually being adopted? i'm not to happy about the muzzleloader getting the shaft, i just bought my first one on Saturday...talk about timing.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
what are the chances of this actually being adopted? i'm not to happy about the muzzleloader getting the shaft, i just bought my first one on Saturday...talk about timing.
It's coming, their mind was made up before all this came out. All these hearings and meetings are just lip service. That is how they operate.

The timing and if they phase it in or if they just do it in one fell swoop depends on how many politicians get behind each side of it.

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

You can hunt with your smoke stick anytime gun season is open.
Doesn't have to be black powder season.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer

The last week of the current season is always the best hunting, bucks are chasing much more than earlier on, Let it be cold it's deer hunting in the mountains for gosh sake. This would also give parents more of a chance to get their kids out over Christmas break.

I do wish they would drop doe tags to 1 for a few years here though, the payoff could be great.

Also love that ML season could be later, you ever tried getting a deer outa these hills from far away from the car when it is 70 flippin degrees,,, and the sketters are trying to carry you off. I will miss the 2nd week of ML season,,, Fewer people in the woods during ML season

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The biologists did say 2 doe tags were the best for the herd in WNC but hunters like more liberal limits

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I agree with that. It would be ridiculous to have one specific answer to questions. Everyone has their opinion of what THEY want. The survey was intended for just that, compromise.

The issue I had wasn't that they gave multiple answers, it was that it dealt with multiple questions at one time. I.E. season length, antler less limit, season start date, etc. all in one question.

One of the founding principles of scientific theory is to isolate a variable and deal with only one at a time. When you are tuning your bow you don't make 5 changes at once, you make them one at a time, testing in between to ensure you get the result you are looking for.