Hoyt vs Mathews?

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Been shooting Mathews but am interested in a Hoyt Defiant for the wrong reason..... I think they are the coolest looking bows made, you guys/girls that have both how do they compare?

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Both similar quality wise

Depends on the shooter really, they do look cool, shoot one along with a Mathews halon and see which one feels better to ya

I shoot a Mathews, not because I think they are better than a hoyt or others , just feels the best in my hand

Jlewis74

Old Mossy Horns
Been seeing a lot of issues posted on social media about Cam lean on the Defiant. I think both are about even and its more personal preference.

NCDoberman

Ten Pointer
It'll be Ford or Chevy, Mary Ann or Ginger. Personal preference.

Yup.

And just to add a curveball, Hoyt and Mathews are the big names, but if you're looking at a new bow you should take a look at what Elite and Obsession are offering. I own a Mathews and two Hoyt's so it's not a bias on my part when I say I like what Elite and obsession have put out in the past few years more than the bigger names.

NCridgehunter

Eight Pointer
Love my halon 6. Shot plenty of Hoyt's and other bows before I bought mine. No complaints whatsoever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hermiehunter

Four Pointer
Agreed...both are probably equal in terms of performance. It's more of a matter of personal preference. I've personally been shooting Mathews bows for more than 10 years. With that said, I've had a couple of Halons (6 & 7) and the HTX over the past year. I now have a Carbon Defiant, which has been my hunting bow this year. The draw cycle blew me away, when compared to the others! And I know that varies from person to person. But...I don't think I've ever been as happy with a bow as I am with my Defiant!!

Best thing you can do is shoot them both side by side to make your own decision.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I shoot a Mathews but I will say that if I could afford an elite that is what I'd be shooting...

ChasinTrophies

I shoot a Mathews but I will say that if I could afford an elite that is what I'd be shooting...

I wouldn't trade my Elite for any bow on the market today... except the Elite Impulse 34

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
I have sold, serviced and tuned most every type of bow ever made. With that being said the Halon series of bows from Mathews are second to none. I can't knock other manufacturers equipment cause they are all very good bows, but they are in no way better than what Mathews has put together in this series of bows. There isn't a Riser on the market as solid when pressed as these bows. They are a joy to tune, they have speed, high left off and possibly the quietest speed bow built to this point. I'm very impressed to say the least. I'll add this, Hoyt's 2014 series of bows are superior to the Defiant series imho...

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I stopped being a fan boy of any specific bow manufacturer years ago, there are just too many good ones out there now. Used to be Mathews guy only then shot a couple of there less than awesome rigs (Reezin). I've owned Mathews, Hoyt, Elite and am now shooting my favorite bow I've ever owned, an Obsession Def com 7. I think you should shoot as many as you can and find the bow you feel confident with.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Why one brand or the other.

My Local Bow shop has carries these two and prefers Mathews, i do a fair amount of business there and they give me a decent discount and their bow guy is good, there is another shop a little further off but i prefer NOT to spend any money there, i would go to the one in Sanford but it would be a long drive, I also have been shooting a Mathews Z3 that i like but as I said the interest in the Hoyt is based on "looks" of the bow which i know is probably the worst reason, but it is what it is.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing wrong with shopping based on looks. The worst bow on the market today is still better than the best on the market 10 years ago.

Mathews is hard to beat for a bow. Marketing, quality, technology....they have it all.

Hoyt makes great bows and have for years. PSE has had some nice stuff lately as well.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Here is my two cent as far as 2016 bows go. Mathews are fun to pick on. Over engineered. Great shooting rigs. Just try putting strings back on one in a decent amount of time and keep any kind of tune. Hoyt. I love but the bang for your buck is low to me, the newer models are getting a little out there for me. Elite. Great bows but that shoot-ability comes with a price of speed and performance.
Pse. Really knocked it out for me. Great bows still very strong not over progressive engineering. Obsession and xpedition archery are your elites on beef. I haven't shot a bowtech or any others.

Last edited: