"Red Wolf" restoration scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
The real shame is if they would just leave the pseudo wolf animals alone, they might have a chance at survival. Every time the well intentioned program people interfere with a litter, they maximize the chances that they will not survive. If this litter’s DNA doesn’t check out to be “pure”, they will euthanize it just like they did with the previous litter born in the wild in 2021.
Like I’ve said countless times, it’s the most poorly managed experiment that I’ve ever witnessed.

Jett

Ten Pointer
The real shame is if they would just leave the pseudo wolf animals alone, they might have a chance at survival. Every time the well intentioned program people interfere with a litter, they maximize the chances that they will not survive. If this litter’s DNA doesn’t check out to be “pure”, they will euthanize it just like they did with the previous litter born in the wild in 2021.
Like I’ve said countless times, it’s the most poorly managed experiment that I’ve ever witnessed.
Amen! They have also euthanized 2 or 3 litters by mistake that matched the criteria of their fake woof. Playing God with wildlife does not equate to a "self sustaining population", but at least it keeps countless people employed in the USFWS, legal profession, marketing firms, biologists, grant writers, zoos, and bogus nonprofit "conservation" groups. One fake wolf and a constant plea for help sure creates a lot of cash flow.

Last edited:

corapeake

Eight Pointer
Not sure why they are trying this nonsense again, delete if this article has already been posted.

Ron pulled out all the stops with this article. It's packed full of fallacies and straight up lies.

"in a slice of their original home range", "they are a natural part of the ecosystem", " eight or so genetically pure collared red wolves who already live there" (I bellied laughed at that one 🤣), "Red wolves are the most endangered wolf in the world and they’re at real risk of extinction in the wild." (uh.. Someone needs to tell them, lol), "This time biologists and wildlife managers hope the long-term result of the reintroduction effort will be different." (They don't know the definition of insanity.), the whole deer population argument is seriously flawed, "and when red wolves pair up, they will kick coyotes out of the area." (oh really, we see how that's worked out, smh), "and when red wolves pair up, they will kick coyotes out of the area." (like that really means something)

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I liked the guy who felt anyone who said the yote/wolves reddish in color would lower the deer and other huntable critters in the area was 'full of baloney". Lol.

You know Ron probably emails EVERY picture he gets of a deer to hundreds of people in an effort to prove that not ALL deer are killed by the fake wolves. If even 1 deer exists, it's proof they can live together Probably has no comment if a camera in the same location years before the release showed 8X the amount of deer.

slugoo

Eight Pointer

Aythya

Eight Pointer
I'm getting so tired of theses "new" findings. Wasn't there something published, maybe even referenced in this thread years back, that there were no alleles in the woof DNA specific to them ? That the genome was just a mix of grey wolf, yote and dog. mostly yote ?
And there was no baseline wild, original woof DNA, that the present genome existed solely from the captive breeding program?
That the breeding program was based solely on phenotype since there was no DNA science as we know it today at the onset of the program ?

kahunter

Eight Pointer
This is an article that popped up on my news feed yesterday.

Its BS that they will help the deer but coyotes/wolves have been shown as being beneficial to ducks. While they will certainly eat a duck or ducklings if the opportunity arises, they do not generally target them. Wood ducks benefit from reduction of their normal nest and duckling predators such as raccoons, foxes, bobcat etc. There is some benefit to the wolves/coyotes, though I would rather not have them in the area

odie408

Ten Pointer
I hear another colared woof is dead in Pantego. Came in a yard where kids were playing. These thing don't fear humans. Another was shot at a few weeks ago charging people sitting on atvs.
Time to set em up again.

Jett

Ten Pointer
This will now generate another terrific fund raising moment for the alphabet soup "conservation" groups...

odie408

Ten Pointer
Never let a crisis go to waste. Makes me wonder how much goes to fund the woofs and how much goes to fund the ngo's? Looks like the woof is going to need all the help they can get.

Jett

Ten Pointer
You want to just say this is pure stupidity, doing the same thing over and over with the same failing results, but in reality it is nothing but greed and selfishness by the alphabet soup coalition.

Clark

Ten Pointer
You want to just say this is pure stupidity, doing the same thing over and over with the same failing results, but in reality it is nothing but greed and selfishness by the alphabet soup coalition.
I suspect they are getting exactly the "results" they want. Prolly got nothing to do with the wolves...

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I hear another colared woof is dead in Pantego. Came in a yard where kids were playing. These thing don't fear humans. Another was shot at a few weeks ago charging people sitting on atvs.
Time to set em up again.
Doesn't woof know he is off the refuge? I thought they were supposed to be released on Federal property?

Take 'em

Six Pointer
Basically the entire ESA was built as a house of cards and the red wolf was the poster child holding up the entire house. They raved about the success of trapping and saving the "red wolf" from extinction so they proclaimed 50 years ago. If they admit the red wolf is not truly a red wolf, then the entire ESA is jeopardized. Even though we all know they have failed, they can't afford to admit it.

Look at the stated reason for removing the "red wolf" from the Texas/Louisiana coasts.
1) Coyotes were encroaching on their habitat and interbreeding with the wolves.
2) There was no DNA testing, so it was all Phenotype or just a fancy way to say, somebody decided what a red wolf should look like.
3) Four hundred trapped animals were culled "euthanized" to get 14 founders, supposedly pure red wolves.
4) Those 14 immediately started producing litters which were obviously "hybrids". So no pure red wolves existed.
5) Here we are today 35 years after the first releases in NC, and all the lies by USFWS, NGO's, and Federal Judges can't save the red wolf nor keep the fake wolf from interbreeding with the coyote.

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Basically the entire ESA was built as a house of cards and the red wolf was the poster child holding up the entire house. They raved about the success of trapping and saving the "red wolf" from extinction so they proclaimed 50 years ago. If they admit the red wolf is not truly a red wolf, then the entire ESA is jeopardized. Even though we all know they have failed, they can't afford to admit it.

Look at the stated reason for removing the "red wolf" from the Texas/Louisiana coasts.
1) Coyotes were encroaching on their habitat and interbreeding with the wolves.
2) There was no DNA testing, so it was all Phenotype or just a fancy way to say, somebody decided what a red wolf should look like.
3) Four hundred trapped animals were culled "euthanized" to get 14 founders, supposedly pure red wolves.
4) Those 14 immediately started producing litters which were obviously "hybrids". So no pure red wolves existed.
5) Here we are today 35 years after the first releases in NC, and all the lies by USFWS, NGO's, and Federal Judges can't save the red wolf nor keep the fake wolf from interbreeding with the coyote.
#4 is the true clincher. If you review the stud book, not one of the crosses in the original founders 14 produced a litter that was not considered hybrid. The true irony of these “scientists/biologists” is that they designated pure wolves and hybrids in the same damn litter!!🤣🤣

Mike Noles aka conman

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you want to do a bit of research on how grossly mismanaged this program is, find and read some of the comments from Roy McBride about the animals he trapped and how they were managed/selected for the PDZ.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Wow...this thread has been around for over 9 years now and nothing regarding the woofs has changed. Those who support the hybrid will continue to support it and those who do not, will not. This issue has gotten more and more annoying and political as the years go by, and we've decided that its time to exit this discussion. We will leave the thread up but not open to replies. We aren't in the job of politics. We're a hobby board. Nothing more, nothing less.

Status
Not open for further replies.