alcoa game land

steveo83

Six Pointer
I was wondering how many people here have hunted for turkeys at the alocoa gamelands and their thoughts exactly on the terrian and how it was for turkey hunting. And I dont want to take anyones spot but if someone could tell me what parts of the gameland are more promising than others it would be great I plan to mostly hunt on the northern rowan county part by the yadkin and south yadkin but i would like to know if there are any other areas i should try. Thanks

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Seen turkeys while deer hunting Alcoa but never turkey hunted out there so I couldn't tell you if they hold in those same areas come this time of year or not. I plan on changing that this year though, probably will be doing some scouting out there next week.

steveo83

Six Pointer
Yea i have a kayak i was hoping to find some low traffic areas..are there any areas i should avoid??

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can't tell you anything other than the easier to get to places usually will be crowded. I live in that area and hunt private land adjacent to it in several places. I hear and see boats coming in and hear people calling quite often, especially early in the season. Late in the season it isn't so bad, usually you will see several vehicles parked on the road side also early in the season.

steveo83

Six Pointer
Any advice on where my chances would be better, be it further north following the river or south by the lake??

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No doubt,, Killed a good one there when the season first opened though. There are birds around but its a footrace when they gobble.
I killed several birds up there when the season first opened. Almost got shot up there the 3rd year and since then pretty much have stuck to the private land for turkeys. I did kill one the second day last year that I had to duck over on Alcoa to cut him off when he diverted off private land, but I was a little apprehensive even then.

agreenchicken

Ten Pointer
I killed several birds up there when the season first opened. Almost got shot up there the 3rd year and since then pretty much have stuck to the private land for turkeys. I did kill one the second day last year that I had to duck over on Alcoa to cut him off when he diverted off private land, but I was a little apprehensive even then.

It is kinda dangerous over there! Not worth it IMO

Bac14

Looking to visit Alcoa and wanted to know what all you found out about the land?

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I killed one of the first ones killed opening day in 97 up there. My mom used to live off of reeves isl. rd. Plenty of deer and turkey . Close to the lake is good, but lots of guys use boats so be fast to get to one.

Djhege

Button Buck
I can't tell you anything other than the easier to get to places usually will be crowded. I live in that area and hunt private land adjacent to it in several places. I hear and see boats coming in and hear people calling quite often, especially early in the season. Late in the season it isn't so bad, usually you will see several vehicles parked on the road side also early in the season.

Do you still live in the area? Are there any pig sign around there?

para4514

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I'm not NCCATFISHER, but any tract around the confluence of Yadkin and South Yadkin should have plenty of pigs.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've hunted it and it's crowded. People by boat, foot heck I'm not sure they weren't jumping out of planes. Several years ago pig sign was good but they were nocturnal because of pressure. Last year all pig sign was old not much happening. Found a bait pile brought in by boat. Called the man and he said they have had some problems in there. I found the door to a trap brought in by boat also. Heard from some people I know there was some trapping and selling going on. Seen some pictures of some killed in there but I think there has been some dog hunting going on. If you think your just going to walk up in there and shot a pig and load him up you going to be disappointed.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Do you still live in the area? Are there any pig sign around there?
I have lived there since '66, I was transferred away a few times but always had a place here and had family. To answer your question about the pigs they are scattered all up and down the river. They are trapped, dogged and pursued about any way they can. They aren't wanted in this area except by a few fools.

Last edited:

Djhege

Button Buck
I have lived there since '66, I was transferred away a few times but always had a place here and had family. To answer your question about the pigs they are scattered all up and down the river. They are trapped, dogged and pursued about any way they can. They aren't wanted in this area except by a few fools.

I just recently joined the LandTrust, right below you it sounds like. I’m hoping to get a couple chances to get some. My dad and I used to hunt them in Pageland until the land we had leased got bought up, clear cut and a ton of turkey barns put up on it. Just looking for a place nearby where me and him can put a couple in the freezer and where he wouldn’t have to walk too far. Hoping the landtrust works out