Take the lever action challange

tonypnc

I'm also usually hunting with a 336 in 35 Remington when I'm not hunting with my bow. So I'm in and any day(s) is good for me! Looking forward to it.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in!! Name the day, and me and the ole 1895 .45/70 will try to thump one or two, hell maybe three!!!!

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
Ok let's call it. Thanksgiving it is. I'll update the original post. As we get closer to the day I'd like to see everybody's tools of the trade. We can post a thread with pics of everybody's levers. We will also get a lever kills thread going with pics that weekend.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm in....I've got a nice old Savage Model 99 levergun in 243 with a fixed four power on her that'll work just fine in a couple of places...

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm in as well,,,,use the M99s usually anyone in nicer weather (yeah I baby them),,,,,,,may zero the .22 Hi-Power and whack one that weekend!!

MtnBoy

I cant shoot does that day in the mtns.... bucks only. I carried my .35 last year after I killed a nice one with the 30-06. I love my lever!

Harpoon

I have a .375 trapper in Model 94, good to send a flame out the end about a foot.

Never used it for hunting, but would have to be on top of something.

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Notta a dang chance here. I'll stick to my bolt rifles.

The bolt action rifle pre-date the lever action rifle by about 40 years. The first bolt action rifle was made by Von Dreyse in 1824, called the Needle Rifle, and was adopted by the Prussian Army in 1841. The first lever rifle didn't show up until about 1860.

But if I were to use a lever, I'd break out one of Savage model 99's most probably, the .300 Savage.

Last edited:

seaweaver

i would do it if i owned one :( im going to buy one this summer

Did you get one?
You are not far from me, If you would like I'll loan you one.

The .35 is my favorite, but I have several "new" calibers that I have not killed a deer with yet. They all have made hog blood.
I wish to take deer w/ .357,44,.444, and .375.
I have had to have killed a deer w/ the 45/70...but never found it despite buckets of blood.

I'm in... I have 200 rds of primed brass for the .35. I better get at it. I think the LTD which has no deer blood will be used for this event.
ltd4642x428.jpg

seaweaver

Actually I have a Marlin MR7 in .270 when I need to shoot beyond 100 yards:eek:

cw

swampnutz

I'm in with my .444 Marlin! I hunt with a lever quite a bit.

took

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Sounds good. I reach past everything else and grab the Marlin lever .32 Win Sp with a 170 grain bullet if I want to drop a deer in its tracks. Easily my favorite to hunt with.

still hunter

I applaude all takers of the challenge....killed my first 5 deer with the classic Win Mdl 94. With that said no way am I putting down the Bolt .308...here's how it would play out with me....a big boy would step out @ 200 yds and I would only get to watch him as opposed to sending lead into his vitals.

It has happened to me on more than one occasion....10+ yrs ago I would opt to take a bow instead of a rifle during rifle season in an attepmt to get a big un with the bow....well wouldnt you know I have seen 3 different big boys during rifle season with a bow in my hand....of course they all where out of range or never presented a bow shot...had I had my rifle on all 3 occasions i would have had several shots @ each buck....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I applaude all takers of the challenge....killed my first 5 deer with the classic Win Mdl 94. With that said no way am I putting down the Bolt .308...here's how it would play out with me....a big boy would step out @ 200 yds and I would only get to watch him as opposed to sending lead into his vitals.

It has happened to me on more than one occasion....10+ yrs ago I would opt to take a bow instead of a rifle during rifle season in an attepmt to get a big un with the bow....well wouldnt you know I have seen 3 different big boys during rifle season with a bow in my hand....of course they all where out of range or never presented a bow shot...had I had my rifle on all 3 occasions i would have had several shots @ each buck....

I've had the same thing happen hunting shotgun only property. If I can I try to hunt with the weapon best for the habitat. Of course a hanger for bow or rifle on the tree or stand ain't a bad idea, just for insurance if you want to take a challenge.

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns

Do like me!

Take both. :D

Thats what i did when i first started carrying a recurve.. I took my compound also.

Carrying the lever wont hurt me though... i cant really shoot over 50-75 yards.

Last edited: