Deer Tenderloin recipe

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry brought some of his stuffed tenderloin to the GTG and I could not get them sliced fast enough. I think a couple of tongues about beat their owners brains out after smacking down on them.

Windrunner

Twelve Pointer
I saw it being used on the cooking show Chopped, Robert Irvine also stuffed his, but he took the end of a wooden spoon to kinda "core" out the middle. Might be an interesting technique to try, cause half my yummy stuffing always falls out

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Windrunner: That is why I always wrap it with plenty of good grade bacon and lots of tooth picks to help keep the yummy stuff inside. I also leave the very tip ends of the tenderloin without slicing them all the way thru like a hot dog bun. That also helps keep the yummy inside.

Southern Yankee

My family LOVED this. OMG! It was good. Made it with some spanish rice with corn in it. Lord! It was good. Haha Thanks for putting the recipe on here.
I've been saving my last back strap just for this. Now I need to go get some more. Haha
0806121923.jpg

Last edited:

Cheese

Six Pointer
Brown sugar and bourbon marinaded back strap. It's delicious and available as a packet marinade by Grill Mates.
2012-09-11_19-02-29_803.jpg
Marinade the meat and do what this guy did with the cream cheese and bacon and you definitely could have a winner.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just gave this recipe to some friends. It was a huge hit! My buddy can't stop talking about it, and his wife emailed me to thank me...and asked for some more recipes! I just gave her the link to this forum.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
showed this recipe to a friend he cooked it up a nd it was good....i tried it and the only thing i done different was not cook it as long and it sucked...taste wasnt bad but tough as shoe leather.
I have no idea what im doing with deer meat apparently.

Castawayguide

Made this Saturday night for my neighbors,it was a huge hit.even my wife who is a recovering vegetarian loved it!thanks for posting

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
about how long should we cook this? im going to try this out thursday. what temp? i always have a hard time getting bacon to cook without overcooking the deer.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
about how long should we cook this? im going to try this out thursday. what temp? i always have a hard time getting bacon to cook without overcooking the deer.

If you have problems with grilling and getting the meat the right temp, buy a meat thermometer...Medium should be about 140 degrees...

deerslyr30-06

Old Mossy Horns
If you have problems with grilling and getting the meat the right temp, buy a meat thermometer...Medium should be about 140 degrees...

not the meat, getting the bacon to be done before i overcook the meat. i have a thermometer, and do just fine when i dont use the bacon

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I primarily use the bacon to keep the cream cheese and jalopeñas inside the tenderloin. I also do not cook the bacon to a crisp, I just lightly cook the bacon. I generally cook it on medium heat for about 3 - 4 minutes per side and turn it so all four sides are exposed to the heat.

Gadwall

Ten Pointer
Don't worry about time, just cook it to 145 degrees, and it will look like this with some pink in the center.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSC01624.jpg
    DSC01624.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 174

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
I tried my 1st attempt at this this evening. I didn't use the same marinade and I had a smaller piece (I ate 1/2 of it yesterday :)). I also didn't have enough jalapeno so I used a chili pepper. I also needed or wanted some more cream cheese inside. So in other words mine was nothing like LR's :D. But it was delightful just the same. I imagine lots of variations can come from this recipe, not that it needs any. Thanks for the recipe!!

HighEight

Six Pointer
I used the Hot & Spicy Allegro marinade and cooked it over some hickory chips. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe my girl loved it too and she normally isn't a fan of deer
udy6a8yt.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Dangit Zombie!! Next time invite me AND include some cut profiles of cut pieces, so people can see the pinkness.

I am notorious about "thinking" something is done, then I slice a little piece and find out I'm a bit early. This dish allows for that if you don't have a thermometer. Just cut into a piece while it's still on the grill, pry it open, if it's purple, let it cook. If it's pink near the cream cheese, get it off the grill quick, you may have already over cooked it!!!

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I used the Hot & Spicy Allegro marinade and cooked it over some hickory chips. It was delicious! Thanks for the recipe my girl loved it too and she normally isn't a fan of deer
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/12/12/04/udy6a8yt.jp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Man that just aint done. Whew... Yea you dont want to over cook it but you dont want to eat raw deer meat either. This is a really good recipe. Taste great but get it done. If your bacon is done your meat is done