Deer Tenderloin recipe

rem1148

Larry R, I use the same ingredients on duck breast and grill same way. I don`t like the heat from jalapenos but do love the flavor they offer so I remove most seeds. It is great!!

dirt

I have tried this recipe with both deer and wild pork tenderloin and it is GOOOOOOOOODDDDDDD! It's tricky to get the bacon crispy and meat cooked and finished at the same time.
Dave

page392

It's tricky to get the bacon crispy and meat cooked and finished at the same time.
Dave

Dave, i cut the loin in to smaller portions started with 2- 12" the first time , then cut it into 6-8" sections the 2nd time.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Good Lord Have Mercy.............. I just found one half of a deer tenderloin I did not know I still had. Wish I had found it yesterday so I could have thawed and marinated it last night. It's a beautiful day outside and relatively warm. Would have been a fitting way to end a perfect Easter Day::::::: Deer Tenderloin.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Got a graduation celebration to go to tomorrow got a tenderloin in the fridge and I plan to give this a try.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
It was a hit. I had some that seemed to be concerned about the jalapenos so I had a jar of roasted red sweet pepper on hand so I made one with that. I liked the jalapeno one better but the sweet pepper wasn't bad. I couldn't find game tamer so I used Dale's and it worked fine. Dang I got to kill a bunch of deer to get enough tenderloins to do this for all the gatherings over the year. The downside of being a hit is now everyone wants ya to make it. I guess I better buy some doe tags this upcoming season :D

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Moose: I had to start planning for drastic measures against those that I have given the recipe to. Just before deer season begins I'm going to have to break a leg and an arm on each of those that I have divulged the secrets too. That way they won't be killing all the deer out there. But to be fair I warned them before I gave out the information that I intended to take drastic measures to protect the deer population. Hehehehehe.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Moose: I had to start planning for drastic measures against those that I have given the recipe to. Just before deer season begins I'm going to have to break a leg and an arm on each of those that I have divulged the secrets too. That way they won't be killing all the deer out there. But to be fair I warned them before I gave out the information that I intended to take drastic measures to protect the deer population. Hehehehehe.

Ok Larry I'll stop telling folks about it plus I don't hunt around you them hills would wear my butt out. :D

DSCF1425.JPG

DSCF1427.JPG

Dang them is good!!!!!

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Moose those photos make my mouth start watering. Man I do love those tenderloins fixed like that. I believe the sweet pepper would work OK but I still like the Jalepeño flavor.

Glad you posted a photo, I should have added one to my original post. Anyone that sees your photo and they don't start drooling has to have something seriously wrong with their appetite. LOL.

Last edited:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I may have to try this with beef. Once you have had venison it's hard to go back to beef though. About the only beef we have here at the house may be a few packs of lean ground. Beef is simply nasty stuff but this may work.

Windrunner

Twelve Pointer
Made this today. Didn't have tenderloins but used some other cut (not sure what it was) and followed the rest. My buddy, two stepkids and I demolished it, so ive got more on the grill now. My stepdaughter isn't even a big fan of venison and she loved it. Definitely gonna add this to my small repertoire of recipes. Thanks LarryR!

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I may have to try this with beef. Once you have had venison it's hard to go back to beef though. About the only beef we have here at the house may be a few packs of lean ground. Beef is simply nasty stuff but this may work.

I think pork would be a better substitute...... I want to try it with moose tenderloin....

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
We did it with pork and it was pretty good but in all honesty I liked it with venison much, much better.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Alright, I did it also Larry R, thanks to Moose reminding me it was out there.

It was smack your gradmamma good!!!!

I used a sirloin roast instead, and DANG MAN!!!

Marinated in some game tame (I think Harris Teeter sells it also in these parts fyi)
StuffedSirloinJune2012.jpg

Butterflied it open

2012-06-07180728.jpg

Inserted the cream cheese, jalapenos, serranos (?), and sun dried tomatoes

2012-06-07185114.jpg

Wrapped it in bacon

2012-06-07190240.jpg

Cooked to medium rare (aka perfect)

2012-06-07202756.jpg

Such an easy and yet delicious way to cook venison!!
Thank you thank you thank you!

Last edited:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
NCST8: Two things you may have done wrong and one for certain you did wrong. I always butterfly it before I marinate and during the time I'm marinating I turn the meat so all parts are marinated. Two did you forget to roll it in sugar???? And finally the third thing I know you did wrong: You didn't tell me what time it would be ready and give me enough time to get there by the time it was done. Hehehehehehe. Looks plum mouthwatering good.

You are welcome.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Yeah, I didn't take pictures of every step, but I did butterfly it and then marinate it some more. I DID remember to roll in brown sugar, just not very much of it. I was suprised how long it was on the grill for to get to 160 degrees. Over half an hour I think from start to finish. But I foiled the grill so it wouldn't flame up, maybe thats part of why?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like you are also ignoring the last point about giving me ample notice when it would be ready for the table. Hehehehehehehe.

I'd would guess the foil and the fact that it's a larger piece of meat than a deer tenderloin is why it took so long. But still it looks delicious (woulda looked better on my plate though). LOL.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339591043.520697.jpg
Tried this last night with salt and pepper.
Very good!
Maybe 1:45-2 min each side.
Let it set in a bowl for 5-10 min after cooking.

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
Blacked out

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Ya'll make that stuff look so good but eveytime I try to eat deer meat its kinda stringy and tough to me. About the only way I can eat it off the grill is marinate it cut it in very small pieces and wrap with bacon.
I have always wanted to learn how to cook this stuff so I would like it but it hasn't happened yet.

Say you have a backstrap that is cut to 6-8" long, how long do you cook it on the grill per side?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
When wrapping it in bacon I just grill it and keep turning it until the bacon is done. Some of your problems might be overcooking. Venison is definitely not a meat that you want to overcook.

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
Ya'll make that stuff look so good but eveytime I try to eat deer meat its kinda stringy and tough to me. About the only way I can eat it off the grill is marinate it cut it in very small pieces and wrap with bacon.
I have always wanted to learn how to cook this stuff so I would like it but it hasn't happened yet.

Say you have a backstrap that is cut to 6-8" long, how long do you cook it on the grill per side?

2 min max

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
Blacked out

deerhunter28

Ten Pointer
you must like to eat raw meat at two minutes a side. i cook mine for about 10 mins (full tenderloin) a side and i get it med rare. closer to rare. some of the best tasting meat you will ever eat.

It isnt the whole tenderloin
Sliced into 1/2" steaks

PSE EVO 57 Lbs.
Blacked out