Deer Tenderloin recipe

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I've bragged terribly about how good this recipe really is and many have asked for it so here goes.

When I talk about the tenderloins I'm referring to the two muscles on top of the deers spine on each side of the back bone and outside of the body cavity. However, this recipe will also work on the two different sets of muscles inside the body cavity at the pelvic area and between the front shoulders. In fact you can cut just about any part of the venison and use this recipe.

Remove the tenderloins by running a sharp knife down from the top of the back alongside of the back bone from about the front shoulder to where the hips begin. Use the knife to cut along the top of the ribs to intersect with the first cut you made. Peel the meat away from the backbone.

I like to cut the tenderloins into about 12 inches lengths because it makes them easier to handle when preparing and grilling. I remove all the fat and any ligaments and the white "skiffin" from the tenderloin. I then split the tenderloin so it opens up like a hot dog bun. Be careful not to cut completely thru the back side of the tenderloin.

I then place the meat into a zip loc bag, add a bottle of "Game Tame" marinate. The only place I have been able to find this marinate was at Lowes Food in West Jefferson. I'm told that Worcestershire sauce will do as a substitute if you cannot find Game Tame. Remove as much air as possible and zip the bag closed. Turn the bag upside down several times moving the meat around inside the bag to insure the marinate covers all the meat. I place the zip lock bag in a plastic bowl just in case there is any leakage. Place it in the fridge (don't freeze) overnight. I go back about every hour before I go to bed and turn the bag upside down and move the meat around in the bag to insure that all pieces of meat are well marinated. When I get up in the morning I go thru this same procedure several times.

At this point if you have more than you want to fix at one time drain the marinate and take out what you want to freeze. I don't recommend freezing the meat without draining the marinate because it eventually could make the meet to strong.

Next pour about a cup of sugar into a flat pan and roll the tenderloin in the sugar. Be sure to roll the inside and outside in the sugar. I then place the tenderloin opened up like a hot dog bun on a piece of tin foil to "contain" the marinate and sugar run off. It can get pretty messy if you don't contain it.

I buy the small boxes of Philadelphia cream cheese and cut it into about 1/2 inch chunks and place it inside the open "bun".

Next step is optional. I sprinkle (to taste) diced Jalapeño peppers inside the bun on the cream cheese.

Close the "bun" and wrap it with a good quality bacon. This adds flavor but also helps to contain the cheese and peppers inside the bun. I use "uncolored" round tooth picks to secure the bacon and also to secure the open edge of the bun closed. Again the objective is to keep all the "stuffing" inside the "bun".

Place the finished "bun" on the BBQ grill. It doesn't take long but generally grill until your desired doneness is achieved. Generally when you see the bacon is done then the tenderloin is also done. It is best not to over cook venison.

Once done, remove from the grill (I then try to remove all the tooth picks) and cut across the grain of the tenderloin into about one inch pieces of meat.

Have a big, sharp knife to fend off those trying to rob your portion and be careful. It's so darn good you may find yourself chewing on your fingers before you realize it. LOL.

If there has ever been a better tenderloin recipe I haven't found it. Note that you can re refrigerate or even freeze left over portions (if you have any left over) Just rap in foil and place in the fridge. When you get ready to eat it just pop it in the oven and reheat it.

Hope you try it and I'm satisfied you are going to enjoy it.

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
I do the same thing as Larry, but I do change a few things up. I use brown sugar, and I also add REAL bacon bits in with the cream cheese.

This is by far the best way I have ever had deer grilled.

Treetall

Twelve Pointer
i may have to try this. may do half of it with cream cheese and half without. sounds really good. and like you. game tame on deer meat does wonders.

wolfpackcpa

Gonna try this tonight, ever since I read this my mouth has been watering.

I found game tame in food lion. Gold aluminum foil top?

My grill has 2 settings hot and hotter, can I put it in the oven? What temp?

Took the chance and cooked it on the grill. Awesome! The wife said "I know deer is lean but does it matter that you rolled it in sugar, stuffed with cream cheese, and wrapped in bacon? Might as well been a double cheeseburger but its good.

Last edited:

Gunner08

Had this last week and it was GOOD! Thank you for posting this!!! Having it again tonight!!!!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Guess I need to give a try...actually have some fresh backstrap in the fridge from yesterdays harvest...:)

TL4404

I had it twice in the past two weeks and it was AWESOME. I did it with pork tenderloin and deer as well, both delicious. I also put 3 sliced jalepenos in the marinade. Thanks for the great recipe

bgdeer

Spike
I tried it tonight and loved it!!! It is the best way I have ever eat deer meat! If I was not eating mahi-mahi tomorrow I would be eating it again!

Hank

Old Mossy Horns
Agreed, it is great. Even PMed Larry about it before I did it and he helped me make it good enough for the wife to like it. That is saying something.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Hank: Going along with your statement that it was "good enough for the wife to like it".

I took some down to Mom and Dad. After they ate it Mom called me and said "Finally after all these years I'll have to admit you have learned how to cook deer meat". Coming from my Mom that statement says it all. LOL.

blackjackd

I do something similar with duck. i cut a whole jalapeno in half scrap away seeds, add a little cream cheese, a strip of marinated duck, wrap in bacon and grill.

ive never had deer this way but will have to try it nxt time.

Redheddedstranger

can you use thick cut bacon or is it best to use the regular?

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I have used both the thick and regular cut bacon. I try to get a good grade whether I use thick cut or regular. My main purpose for the bacon (in my opinion) is to trap and keep the cream cheese and jalapeño peppers inside the tenderloin "buns" while BBQn' them.

dpekera

Lead Foot
I have used both the thick and regular cut bacon. I try to get a good grade whether I use thick cut or regular. My main purpose for the bacon (in my opinion) is to trap and keep the cream cheese and jalapeño peppers inside the tenderloin "buns" while BBQn' them.

DEPENDS Larry! , that will keep it trapped in the buns ! LOL :eek::D:wave:

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I only have one more venison tenderloin left. Saving it for a rainy day. I picked up a pork tenderloin this morning and if the weather cooperates I'm gonna lay it on the grill tomorrow evening. Haven't tried pork but if it's anything like the venison it's gonna be hard to beat.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Larry, I'm gonna have to try this. I have cooked the tenderloins wrapped in bacon before. Tried em seasoned with montreal steak seasoning. Tried it with sticky fingers barbecue sauce, and they taste like boneless ribs. Even tried it with blue cheese/butter stuffed in the middle - which is pretty good, but never tried the cream cheese. I will have to try it and see how it compares. Looking forward to it.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
I did the pork tenderloin last night. It was OK but by no means near as good as the deer tenderloin. I can't explain why.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Bigten: I agree with you that venison is better than pork but I also thought that the pork would be better tasting than it was. I guess I'm going to have to break out my last remaining venison tenderloin and fix it. I think I have said this before> Man I wish the whole deer was made out of tenderloins. Hehehehehehe.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Tried this recipe last night. Very good. It is definitely different than all of the other recipes I have tried. The cream cheese, jalepenos, and sweet glaze from the sugar give it a unique flavor like no other venison I have eaten. Thanks Larry.

page392

Larry,
Finally found some game tame @ foodlion..... layin out some loin today, gonna give it a shot tomorrow. thanks for the recipe!