Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Deer Tenderloin recipe

I am very boring. I slice mine 1" thick. Pound it, roll it in flour, slow fry it in butter with salt and pepper. Usually have fried potatoes and green beans with it. This is my soul food. This is how my family always cooked it when I was growing up.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    I am very boring. I slice mine 1" thick. Pound it, roll it in flour, slow fry it in butter with salt and pepper. Usually have fried potatoes and green beans with it. This is my soul food. This is how my family always cooked it when I was growing up.
    Yep, can't improve on perfection! Simple is best with tenderloin.

Four Pointer

Quote Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
    My dad preferred garden peas to green beans when he cooked deer, but I've been right there. But I love it in all kinds of ways. I'm not picky when it comes to my deer meat!

Quote Originally Posted by nchunter2 View Post
    Yep, can't improve on perfection! Simple is best with tenderloin.
    thank you

sliced thin,,,sauted in butter,,,,,nirvana,,,,
    when the truth hurts,,,,,,

Four Pointer

Tried the recipe on Larry's original post last night. (Minus the peppers). It was the best deer I've ever eaten!

Twelve pages on how to cook a tenderloin. Geez...
    “A Savage rifle, topped with a Vortex scope, shooting Berger bullets…pretty much living the white trash dream”

“Fish meat is pretty much a vegetable”

Eight Pointer

Just this past Saturday night I did a big batch of country style steak in gravy for the guys at the hunting club. Cut 1/2" thick, pound with meat hammer, add salt/pepper to flour & coat pieces, brown in 1/4" of peanut or vegetable oil in large pot oil- once pieces are brown set them aside and continue to brown all pieces. Add flour to oil & bits and brown, once roux is good color add water (1/4 pot full) and wisk to dissolve all cooked flour to make gravy. Simmer 5+/- minutes to thicken, add salt & pepper to taste (takes a good amount of salt to get rid of raw taste), add 1-2 cups sliced button mushrooms, 2 ounces of bourbon and all pre browned meat pieces back into gravy. Simmer 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice, biscuits or cornbread and some greens or beans as a side.

You can cut with a fork and the flavor is amazing...especially if the venison was aged a week or so prior to butchering/freezing.
    "Shoot low boys, they're riding Shetland ponies in search of true grit"...Lewis Grizzard