Sticky butchering 101

deercutter

I own aprocessing facility in Stanly co and we skin all our deer with electric winches and golf balls (head down). It is a little more coordinated than this.The best part about it from a processors point is there is no hair on the carcass (at all)when done skinning. It is the same as turning a sock inside out. Every time you cut the hide with a knife it spreads cut hair. Been processing for 11 yrs, been skinning with golf balls for 7 yrs. Wouldn't do it any other way!

wolfpackcpa

I just heard about two ways to skin a deer. The first being the golf ball trick. Sounds like some others have had great success with that but I was curious if anyone else has tried the second.

A guy told me that if the weather and freshly killed deer is still warm then take an air compressor to the entry wound right under the skin and fill it with and and it makes taking the skin off a breeze.

Anyone else hear or try this and with what results?

Last edited:

creekhobo

Ten Pointer
A guy told me that if the weather and freshly killed deer is still warm then take an air compressor to the entry wound right under the skin and fill it with and and it makes taking the skin off a breeze.

Anyone else hear or try this and with what results?

I made a nozzle to blow them up with a few years ago. The way I did it was to cut a small slit in the leg and slide the nozzle up the leg between the skin. I would then grab around the leg with a hand and hold it tight while turning on the air. I did a few and it did separate the skin from the body making it easer to pull the skin. I then started doing it with a golf ball and four wheeler and haven't used the air in awhile. I may try air on the next one just to see if it makes the pulling easer with the wheeler.
deerair.jpg

little eddy

I made a nozzle to blow them up with a few years ago. The way I did it was to cut a small slit in the leg and slide the nozzle up the leg between the skin. I would then grab around the leg with a hand and hold it tight while turning on the air. I did a few and it did separate the skin from the body making it easer to pull the skin. I then started doing it with a golf ball and four wheeler and haven't used the air in awhile. I may try air on the next one just to see if it makes the pulling easer with the wheeler.
deerair.jpg

what if there are multiple holes lol

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
We tried the air trick on a 10 point my dad killed this year... and the deer had been killed about 2 hours prior to it, and we skinned him just like he'd been fresh killed

drum3rguy

Eight Pointer
You must be single if you can hang a deer from the celing in your kitchen
haha, I'm pretty sure that is his garage/man cave area. His name is Ron Kulas and he does great tutorials on all kinds of things. You can find him on Archerytalk.com with the username RancidCrabtree. He has shown how to do sausage and heat treat knives on that stove, haha. He's a great guy. I love seeing all of his stuff.

He has his own forum/blog with most all of his posts for various things on it: http://ronkulas.proboards.com/index.cgi.

Slogan

Very good info. especially the photos.I have been processing my own meat for years. It doesn't take very long to do an entire deer.Get a Food Saver vacum sealer and you can avoid freezer burn and it keeps your meat like the day u packaged it. Also, I am lucky to have my own walk-in cooler so I can age the meat before I process it.Ageing really makes the meat more tender and better eating.Northern Tools carries alot of meat processing equipment that does not cost very much.

Wildman82

Great work. I will have to use the shoulder directions because i have always had trouble with getting good meat out of them.

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
This is an excellent post. And I believe a video would also be much appreciated and helpful. Just thinking the photos might be a good sticky and definitely if a good video is made.

I have butchered several deer over the last five years. It takes me about all day if doing it by myself but that includes double grinding the "burger" meat, separating the cuts and vacuum sealing everything. I take a lot of pains to remove all "white" and especially ALL and I mean ALL fat. I usually wind up with several more pounds of venison from each deer than I get when I take one to have it butchered. Bottom line is I KNOW the quality of the venison I have when finished.

And an added plus I wind up with some scraps and skeleton for my coyote bait pile. LOL.

As for skinning I cheat. My nephew has an electric chain hoist mounted up high. We skin with a knife just enough on the back legs to allow us to tie off a bit of hide using two golf balls, That chain hoist WILL jerk the hid of in a New York minute however we slow down the process and use a knife in a couple of places (flanks and around front shoulders) as its easy to rip off some good meat instead of just the hide in those areas. Best part of all is the walk in cooler where we can age the deer the proper time prior to actually butchering.
But I have been known to become a bit lazy and take deer to a local butcher shop :cautious: :cautious: :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Arapaho

Spike
I was a butcher in my younger years when grocery stores got swinging beef quarters in. I have worked at many deer processing outfits mostly helping out friends to get caught up. I process my own, grind burger, make sausage (link and patty). The only thing I lack and I may buy one this year is a cuber. All through my younger years, guys would ask me to man the skinning pole at my hunting club. In just a short time, you can have boneless meat in the cooler and a skeleton hanging.