224 Valk anyone?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Wondering if anyone has picked one up yet to see if it lives up to the hype or not. Pretty impressive numbers for such a small cartridge but they may not be realistic or repeatable outside of “perfect” range conditions but who knows.
So anyone got the skinny?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ve been wondering the same.. Seeing some good prices on uppers, just wondering if it’s because it hasn’t really “taken off” yet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Any of the Black Rifle forums would be the best place to ask the experts...at least that's where I'd ask.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Any of the Black Rifle forums would be the best place to ask the experts...at least that's where I'd ask.

I know but while there’s good guys on there there a far more wannabe tacticool slick Schmitt operators that spout whatever crap their gun god mancrush says, the duche Yeager at Tactical Response leaps to mind.
Would just rather ask some regular guys like we have here.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know but while there’s good guys on there there a far more wannabe tacticool slick Schmitt operators that spout whatever crap their gun god mancrush says, the duche Yeager at Tactical Response leaps to mind.

Good Man!

BattleBornNV

Button Buck

Well said!
I watched my first (string of) video this weekend on the 224. Sure looks impressive. Comparing it to the 6.5CM, or PRC shocked me. That’s a grandiose claim worth checking out.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Well said!
I watched my first (string of) video this weekend on the 224. Sure looks impressive. Comparing it to the 6.5CM, or PRC shocked me. That’s a grandiose claim worth checking out.

Yeah that’s a lot of claim for a cartridge half the size of the others it’s being compared to. I’m happy with my 6.5 gren and 6.8spc but I’d be hard pressed to pass on a 224valk IF they live up to the hype.....I’m just really curious on how they’re handling the pressures, only way I know of to make a heavier projectile fly that fast is to use some insanely fast burning powders which will have far greater pressure spikes which an AR upper may or may not be able to handle for very long.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
I broke down and bought a 20" barrel from Bison Armory last week. i will update as soon as it ships and I have the gun put togeather.

BattleBornNV

Button Buck

Funny you say that. One of the videos I watched the guy was doing a review of the 224 and comparing it to his 6mm variants.
He basically said that the hype of it performing as well as a 6.5 was blasphemy but that it was a solid contender against his 6mm Creedmore and hand loaded .243.....
Interesting.

41magfan

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally, I view it as useful niche cartridge if you have a long range need for it. But, most (if not all) of the cartridges it's being compared to don't work in the basic AR-15 platform so any such comparison is fairly irrelevant.

Last edited:

BattleBornNV

Button Buck
A little more research into the round the last few days satisfies my curiosity. I’m not a buyer. There is nothing that round can do any better than my current selection. Being touted as a long range cartridge, it simply is not. Not in a 1:7 twist 20” barrel for certain and marginally in precision platforms.
1000yds is not the same 1000yds it was 20 years ago, even 10 years ago. It’s is not the mighty distance that separates “shooters” any longer. My wife shoots her .243 800yds with 95’s and has absolutely zero competitive shooting experience whatsoever and honestly, limited trigger time. She has a good platform and great optics.
A guy with a brand new RPR, a $1000 scope, factory ammo, an iPhone app and 20 minutes range time can go out to 1000 fairly easy nowadays. I see it quite a bit at my home range.
Anywho, that 224 is a cool round for sure but if you are already the proud parent of a 6mm Creedmore, 6.5 Creedmore, 6.5 PRC, .243 wsm, .243 Win, you probably have it covered. AR-10, AR-6.5G, AR-6.8SPC, look to cover as well albeit greater felt recoil.
Since I only own 5.56 AR platforms I really have zero business commenting on the necessity of 224 in that build for performance. Where I reside there is more than enough real estate to shoot extended ranges but there is also always wind of some sort so beyond 8-900 meters those smaller bullets become so ineffective and inaccurate they are not an option. I would be more inclined to take the 6.5CM to 1300yds with an ELD or grab the 338 LM or .30-378 out of the safe and go really long, bucking wind.
Just the humble opinion of a dummy though so take it for what it’s worth.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
But....but.....It's named "Valkyrie". How cool is that?

Haha... and Bill Alexander named his AR platform 50 the "Beowulf". Great name, but dang if I'm gonna pay $750 for one of his uppers!!!

Not when I can catch a 458 socom upper on sale for $399 :)