Bifocals vs singlevision glasses while hunting?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have had bifocals for about 2 years now and still don't like them, even though I have gotten more adjusted to them. I can't stand to wear them while hunting, to much around me out of focus. This past year I had a pair of single vision glasses made that I could wear while hunting or just outside doing what ever. I still take off either to read. LOL Basically, I was wondering if any one else had a pair of glasses just for hunting.

rodman

Ten Pointer
I don't but feel your pain. The first time I cut my eye to the side while turkey hunting and got drunk as a skunk I knew I was screwed.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had laser surgery done to correct my vision 20 years ago and its worked really well for me, but I started noticing a couple of years ago that vision in my right eye was getting a little blurry for things up close. It was getting bad enough that I couldn't focus sharply enough on open rifle or pistol sights, and the same with bow sights. My eye doc fixed me up with a special prescription set of glasses that has no correction in the left lens, and just enough correction in the right to allow me to focus on something small and closeup (like a bow sight). I guess it was a pretty unusual prescription, cause when I took it to the Walmart optical shop to be made the optician asked me three times if I was sure what the eye doctor ordered was correct!

It works only problem is what DRS said; when I'm hunting I have to stop and put the glasses on before I shoot.

Lil'Joe

Four Pointer
After a lot of trial and error, I settled on contacts and always carry a pair of collapsable reading glasses with me. I specifically adopted this for hunting and it works well Day in day out as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Ive had bifocals for about 6 years now. I dont mind them too terribly bad while gun hunting deer from a stationary spot...but I absolutely detest them while turkey hunting. It is even worse while archery hunting for deer. Due to the "angles" of my corneas contact lenses are not an option, also not a good candidate for lasik surgery.
Luckily my eye Dr is a bowhunter and he made me a pair of single vision glasses that work extremely well for archery and turkey hunting, or any time I am in a position that I am cutting my eyes from side to side. No more blurry vision at the edges and no more spacey feeling from glancing sideways. Get a pair and try it !!

Billy J HCGS

Six Pointer
69 and just got contacts! Worn glasses for years. Same blurry edges when looking to the side, unless I turned my head. Got left eye contact for close and right eye contact for far. Takes a little while for the Brain to figure out how to make them work together, but contacts ROCK. I shoot A LOT! Works GREAT out to 1000yds.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got tired of putting on and taking off reading glasses after my arms got too short. Did not need distance correction at all then, just close up for reading. Got a pair of progressive lens bifocals with transition lens and never looked back. As the years have passed, the amount of correction for close and distance has changed but distance is still pretty good.

I do not have a big problem with guns but seeing a star burst when looking at a bow site made it impossible to shoot. The near correction is in the bottom center of the glasses and in bow shooting, I am looking through the upper left corner of the glasses with my right eye. I solved that problem with a peep site that has a lens in it that clears up the star burst on the pin and I keep both eyes open and use the other eye for distance. I take my glasses off when bow hunting. Otherwise, I wear the bifocals all the time.

old school

Six Pointer
I wear single vision only while hunting and just take them off if I have to check out anything really close up. It can be aggravating while wearing a facemask sometimes. Glasses can fog up during early season hunting and while trying to keep your face hidden at the same time. I have tried contacts but I tend to get nasty setting out decoys and hunting in the wind, that I am constantly getting trash of some kind in my eyes and then the problems begin. Both glasses and contacts can have issues no doubt, but I have to see the game to hunt the game for sure.

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
I've got the tri-focals and have gotten used to them mostly. They work fine when hunting, but do require a good alignment (some shops are really bad at this). Straight ahead I have distance, peering down I have reading/fine focus, with an intermediate out to the sides.

Like you I thought single focal lenses might be better - so I got a second pair of polarized sunglasses. Figured in the boat I needed to be able to see to drive the truck, drive the boat and see to cast at my targets. Now I find they are as much trouble because I have to lift them up to tie knots, unwrap birds nests, unhook fish, etc...

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I wear progressive lenses 99% of the time....but I carry a pair of straight prescription glasses in my vest and switch from progressives to straight before turkey hunting or deer hunting. My progressives aren't clear in the peripheral zones, which is not good when hunting, when I'm scanning the woods by rotating my eyes while keeping my head still. If I kill a turkey or deer, I switch back to my progressives for the tagging exercise and picture taking, etc., when close-up vision needs supersede peripheral. Works for me.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I wear single vision only while hunting and just take them off if I have to check out anything really close up. It can be aggravating while wearing a facemask sometimes. Glasses can fog up during early season hunting and while trying to keep your face hidden at the same time. I have tried contacts but I tend to get nasty setting out decoys and hunting in the wind, that I am constantly getting trash of some kind in my eyes and then the problems begin. Both glasses and contacts can have issues no doubt, but I have to see the game to hunt the game for sure.

I had lasik about 20 years ago and had both eyes done for distance vision only. I had worn glasses since I was 12 and my eyes had gotten to the point where I was legally blind without them. My eye doc told me I needed to carry a spare pair everywhere I went. That's why I had the lasik and it worked great. I didn't mind using reading glasses because they were so light and I didn't need them all the time. Fast forward ten years or so and I find out I have diabetes and it affects my vision so I have to get real low power specs for distance and bifocals to read. Oh well, still that's better than the coke bottles. I have gotten so used to the bifocals that I hardly notice that I'm wearing them most of the time. Hunting however, is a different matter. The fogging up is a real problem to me, especially deer hunting those cold days. Even putting on a full head net is a pain. Another thing is in low light, like dusk or right at dawn, I see better without the glasses out to a hundred yards or so. Go figure, anyway as I get even older than I am I'm sure I'll need stronger glasses and I'll just have to bite the bullet and deal with them. As for the diabetes, I get my eyes screened once a year and so far there's no serious damage from it.