Arrowhead hunting

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I have found several on our farm where we plow the ground, however we have went 80% no-till with soybeans, and corn. Have any of you had any luck looking in creeks and branches? I enjoy looking for these and finding one is a special thing to me, just asking how and where you all look and have had luck.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
In the last few years i have really gotten into it too. Found most in fields around the house. Found a really large piece of pottery in a creek after a large rain came through.

stilker

Old Mossy Horns
Fresh cut overs or cleared land after a rain is where most people look now since most farmers no-till.i miss having plowed ground,but I have found them in bare spots in pastures too.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
^ I have access to a fresh cutover, never thought to look around one but I'll give it a try. I have found a good number in fields near the house, mostly tobacco fields.

C120

Six Pointer
May I suggest, for any arrowhead hunters, that you get permission before entering private land to hunt arrowheads. One of my leases is being clearcut now amd I have already had to deal with arrowhead hunters roaming without permission. Trespass laws apply to all regardless of activity.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I think you should go back to raising tobacco so you can find them. Lots of plowing and time close to the ground to see them lol. Probably be the only benefit to raising it though.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have found them in the river, creeks, farm paths, fire break/plow lines, cut overs, washes or just about anywhere you can see the ground. I forgot to mention, landscaped yards.

DozerD

Six Pointer
Due to my profession, I have found all of mine on job sites. The best time to find them is after the clearing and grubbing has been finished and we begin to strip topsoil. A hard rain makes it much easier to spot them as opposed to the soil being dry. I bet a lot of developers wouldn’t mind you looking if you asked permission. From my experience, the closer you are to a river the better the odds are

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Due to my profession, I have found all of mine on job sites. The best time to find them is after the clearing and grubbing has been finished and we begin to strip topsoil. A hard rain makes it much easier to spot them as opposed to the soil being dry. I bet a lot of developers wouldn’t mind you looking if you asked permission. From my experience, the closer you are to a river the better the odds are

I wouldn’t be too sure. When we used to do prelim work priornto any groundbreaking on a job, and we found them, we were told to keen quiet due to the potential for some one to get curious and want a cultural resource study done.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
Wish you could see the collection a friend of mine has up in Johnston County NC...I think he has become an arrowhead junkie...

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Close to creeks, often where you find bamboo grass growing there was a village....as others have mentioned before, if you find surface snail shells start looking...

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
^ Why would snail shells indicate a good place to look for arrowheads?

Almost always close to a spring which provided drinking water AND clay for pottery. I have always found flint blanks in these areas....and HUGE pieces of pottery.