Old turkey hunting books

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Anyone have any old cool turkey hunting books? I have a Tom Kelly one, but Im looking for East of the slash. Anyone every read it or have it? Its out of sight for me on amazon.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone have any old cool turkey hunting books? I have a Tom Kelly one, but Im looking for East of the slash. Anyone every read it or have it? Its out of sight for me on amazon.

i have it. it's ok. you can borrow it. pm if you want to pick it up. i dont want to mail it. i live in chatham.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
America's Greatest Gamebird...
Archibald Rutledge/ edited by Jim Casada
Illumination in the Flatwoods
.... Joe Hutto
In The Turkey Woods
.... Jerome Robinson
Wild Turkey Country
.....Lovett Williams

Last edited:

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Spring Gobbler Fever.

excellent how to with good stories as well.

That's it....great read. I'll have to look around for mine, surely I've forgotten most of the stories by now. Would bring back memories of when I first started. back when turkeys were merely mythological creatures, in my mind

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
the best one ime is Tomfoolery 2000 by NC native Earl Groves.

casada is your best chance to find a copy.

tells you how to kill one and has great hunt tales to make the points.

he was a NWTF executive back when their leaders could actually kill a turkey.

strut buster

Eight Pointer

I'll trade you another one of these for your East of the Slash. My East of the Slash got permanently borrowed but someone I don't keep in touch with anymore, I believe. It's a great book if you grew up in the Mississippi Delta hunting behind the mainline MS river levee, which I did and still do, just not often enough now.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Thank yall so much for all the great info. Im not really looking for how to, books as much as story telling or old books about hunting in the past. Im trying to get a collection together of old stuff to pass down to my son one day.

Also a long time back there was a older gentleman at the NWTF turkey banquet in Hillsborough, who was selling books about his years hunting turkeys I believe in Caswell county or North Carolina. For the life of me I cant remember his name, I wish like crazy I would have bought that book, but i was really young and dumb.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Thank yall so much for all the great info. Im not really looking for how to, books as much as story telling or old books about hunting in the past. Im trying to get a collection together of old stuff to pass down to my son one day.

Also a long time back there was a older gentleman at the NWTF turkey banquet in Hillsborough, who was selling books about his years hunting turkeys I believe in Caswell county or North Carolina. For the life of me I cant remember his name, I wish like crazy I would have bought that book, but i was really young and dumb.

wayne bailey. casada has his most recent book for $20.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Wayne's Turkey World: 60 Years of Hunting, by the late Wayne Bailey is worthy of a look. Wayne was the NCWRC's Wild Turkey Project Leader during most of NC's turkey restoration years. He was "the turkey man" in his day. A turkey legend, if you ask me.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'll trade you another one of these for your East of the Slash. My East of the Slash got permanently borrowed but someone I don't keep in touch with anymore, I believe. It's a great book if you grew up in the Mississippi Delta hunting behind the mainline MS river levee, which I did and still do, just not often enough now.

well i may need to make that trade as my copy is loaned out right now. :)

but otherwise i wouldnt need another.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Wayne's Turkey World: 60 Years of Hunting, by the late Wayne Bailey is worthy of a look. Wayne was the NCWRC's Wild Turkey Project Leader during most of NC's turkey restoration years. He was "the turkey man" in his day. A turkey legend, if you ask me.

this is the one you might have seen waynemoe.

Mr. bailey is a big reason we have turkeys to play with in NC today.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
this is the one you might have seen waynemoe.

Mr. bailey is a big reason we have turkeys to play with in NC today.

Bingo o.s.! I was at that NWTF banquet waymoe1 mentioned too, in fact. Wayne was walking around introducing himself to folks, and signing his books as he sold them. I got me one!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Bingo o.s.! I was at that NWTF banquet waymoe1 mentioned too, in fact. Wayne was walking around introducing himself to folks, and signing his books as he sold them. I got me one!

that's how i got my copy as well. should have gotten one of his wingbone calls.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
that's how i got my copy as well. should have gotten one of his wingbone calls.

Mr. Bailey's wing bones aren't much to look at...obviously he wasn't big on aesthetics. :) But, they sure are special. I've had 2 for over 40 years and never took either of them to the woods more than a handful of times...for a couple reasons. #1...wing bones aren't my best call. And #2...If I did, I'm scared I might break it or lose it. I should though. I ought to make it a goal to call up and kill a turkey with one of those wing bones. Would sure make for a special hunt.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Thank yall very much. Yall are on the ball for sure with that. I couldnt remember that guys name for anything, heck I believe that banquet was back in 02 or 03 anyway. At that time I was spending to much time at the Wild turkey bar lol instead of getting that book like i should have.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Thank yall very much. Yall are on the ball for sure with that. I couldnt remember that guys name for anything, heck I believe that banquet was back in 02 or 03 anyway. At that time I was spending to much time at the Wild turkey bar lol instead of getting that book like i should have.

Lol! Different times...different priorities. I expect you did the right thing for your phase of life at the time. :)

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I served on the National Board with Earl.........he was a class act! His specialty was hunting adult gobblers during the Fall. If anyone has ever tried that, they'll understand the difficulties!!

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Some of the books I've accumulated over the years........I only loan to people who live nearby so I can go retrieve them!! (at gunpoint if necessary) :taz:

Turkey_Books.JPG

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
just so you know The Season is worth a whole lot more than you paid for it. :)

Go to ebay and search "turkey hunting books"..........then go to the left side and enter $200 in min price..........they have some various signed books at over $1000!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The Old Pro Turkey Hunter by Gene Nunnery is my favorite.

BigBow,
Does your copy of this book have a dust jacket? If so is their any information on inside of the jacket?

Mine is blank.Which i have never noticed. Perhaps they all were.

anyone else that has a copy can chime in.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
BigBow,
Does your copy of this book have a dust jacket? If so is their any information on inside of the jacket?

Mine is blank.Which i have never noticed. Perhaps they all were.

anyone else that has a copy can chime in.

The dust jacket is blank on the inside, but the outside of the dust jacket has a picture of Ben Lee & Jack Dudley that gives tribute to the author..