turkey hunting is like chili- cuz's take

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
"I think most people walk by hunt-able turkeys on their land because they don't know they're there..."

I may not have quoted it exactly, but that is a profound statement ! Let that sink in for a minute....

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I agree with him on every point. I want to find them early and get set up as quick as I can in the morning, and then mid-morning I've had way more success getting toms to "shock gobble" to a loud turkey call than a crow or anything else. They might gobble to a crow, but they are much more likely to gobble to a turkey sound, IMO. You've just got to be ready to set up quickly if he sounds off 100 yards away. That's why I'm scoping setups before I ever call, usually standing next to a big tree.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
"I think most people walk by hunt-able turkeys on their land because they don't know they're there..."

I may not have quoted it exactly, but that is a profound statement ! Let that sink in for a minute....
I got to admit I was guilty of this . I overlooked the birds around here. Last year I went out on Easter morning on a whim thinking I might hear 1 bird if I was lucky and heard 6 that morning. Even got a bird.
I had no idea there was that many birds around here.