March 1936 Blizzard

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I stopped by the nursing home yesterday to check on my 96 year old mother and she was not having a good day. With the weather predicting snow, I asked her to tell me again about the 1936 blizzard. I love to have her tell stories of when she was growing up and you can see the wheels start turning and she goes to another time and place. It's amazing the little details that she remembers. She said yes, I remember that. She said the weather had been warm and they had been going barefoot. She said the morning of the storm they not worn coats to school. She said the temperature started dropping with high winds and snow. She said her dad met them at the bus stop with heavy coats for the mile and a half walk home. She said the next morning, her mom and dad had to dig a trail to the springhouse and there were drifts of over four feet.

Here is a link to another story about this storm
https://blindpigandtheacorn.com/late-spring-snow-of-march-17-1936/

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I know it's a sin, but sometimes I get envious of these type stories,,,,my Mom passed at the age of 47 from non-hodgin's lymphoma,,,,the days of stories weren't long

enjoy them while you can

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for sharing. I used to listen in awe as my grandfather spoke of his experiences. But her truth totally debunks the barbed wire, uphill slide both ways.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You guys NEED to write down those stories. As much as you like to hear them, think about how amazed your children and grandchildren would be to hear and understand how folks lived before the internet, TV, and automobiles.

NCdoe

Ten Pointer
I remember hearing a 100 year old woman tell of how they never washed their hair during the winter. She and her sisters washed their hair in the creek when the weather warmed up in the Spring of the year. Makes you wonder how often they had a bath. Love hearing those stories. Wish you would share some more Frostcat.

Firefly

Old Mossy Horns
My Grandmother told me when I was a boy about a big snow in spring many years ago but I don't remember what year she said it happened..She told me the snow was waist deep and in drifts was almost as high as her head she was a bit over 5 feet tall, and she was a switch toting tough little woman of yesterday..

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
You guys NEED to write down those stories. As much as you like to hear them, think about how amazed your children and grandchildren would be to hear and understand how folks lived before the internet, TV, and automobiles.
YES. I used to love listening to my wife's grandfather tell stories of being a waist gunner flying out of Australia in WWII. I can't even remember if he was in B-24s or B-25s. Lots of good stuff I have now forgotten.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

For me, I was too young to think about writing down the stories and today I have forgotten all of them. It is indeed a shame.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Enjoy you time with her. My Mom is 86 and dementia is rearing its ugly head. She can remember things that happened back in her childhood, but cannot tell you what she ate for breakfast. I go an spend at least 1 night a week with her and my wife goes another. My sister goes for a couple days a week. We are just thankful she still enjoys being with us.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
What a great thread to read!!! Not to have lived through though! A blizzard during the depression?!?!?!

Thank you for sharing this. I promise in my fully heated and full freezered home not to complain at least until lunch tomorrow!!!

Last edited: