Season changes proposed

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Those compensation days sound good, most of my waterfolwing is done after New Years and a few days tacked onto the end of the season would sure be great.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Maybe i miss understood, and please explain if I did, but Sunday was never counted against our season length or as a hunting day. We got 60 days to hunt, which did not include sundays in that count, as we could not hunt in them. Am I missing something here?

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Maybe i miss understood, and please explain if I did, but Sunday was never counted against our season length or as a hunting day. We got 60 days to hunt, which did not include sundays in that count, as we could not hunt in them. Am I missing something here?

Compensatory days will now be allowed for waterfowl and webless species (doves, woodcock, rails and snipe). Previously, due to federal guidelines, North Carolina was required to count Sundays as a hunting day for webless species even though there are state prohibitions for hunting all migratory game birds on Sunday. Proposed season dates for these species will now reflect the availability of these compensatory days for all migratory birds.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
I got it now. I misread it originally, though it is worded weirdly. I was assuming they were talking about waterfowl the whole time, and was confused as we already have compensatory days for waterfowl. Cool on the doves!

Last edited:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Compensatory days will now be allowed for waterfowl and webless species (doves, woodcock, rails and snipe). Previously, due to federal guidelines, North Carolina was required to count Sundays as a hunting day for webless species even though there are state prohibitions for hunting all migratory game birds on Sunday. Proposed season dates for these species will now reflect the availability of these compensatory days for all migratory birds.

So you’re telling me that all those people that whined about Sunday hunting shortening the season were wrong?

I thought they only counted hunting days...

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
So you’re telling me that all those people that whined about Sunday hunting shortening the season were wrong?

I thought they only counted hunting days...

If they were whining about Doves and other webless species, not being able to hunt on Sunday was shortening their season because those days were counted as hunting days.

Waterfowl already had compensatory days added to the season.

Sunday hunting in regards to migratory birds and season length isnt really an issue bc the season frame work is set Federally. You'll get the same number of days to hunt and cant hunt past set dates.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
If they were whining about Doves and other webless species, not being able to hunt on Sunday was shortening their season because those days were counted as hunting days.

Waterfowl already had compensatory days added to the season.

Sunday hunting in regards to migratory birds and season length isnt really an issue bc the season frame work is set Federally. You'll get the same number of days to hunt and cant hunt past set dates.

Alrighty then

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Geez.....it was clear as mud.....can’t believe y’all didn’t get it!

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Wildlifer, thanks for clearly explaining this to everyone. I think there has been at least a 2 year halt on Sunday duck hunting. May not be over yet.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlifer, thanks for clearly explaining this to everyone. I think there has been at least a 2 year halt on Sunday duck hunting. May not be over yet.

I think you may end up being right. There are some heavyweights strongly against the Sunday duck hunting, but it doesn’t have a thing to do with religion. Mainly how the split would change.