NCGA lawmakers working on gun control bill

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The current NC pistol purchase permit law is based in the old south racism that came out of the desegregation era as a way for the local sheriff to deny blacks the ability to purchase handguns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep it would let the CLEO pick who could have a gun and not based on personal feelings.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
In the original PPP law it was the clerk of court that issued permits not the sheriff

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
What is this “racist permit law” you speak of, forgive my ignorance? Also doesn’t cigarette smoking kill more people in the US due to lung cancer than anything else?

The pistol purchase permit law is an old Jim Crow law that was never repealed. It was designed to keep blacks from buying handguns.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The pistol purchase permit law is an old Jim Crow law that was never repealed. It was designed to keep blacks from buying handguns.

Not just blacks but it allowed Democrats to deny permits to Republicans and vice versa

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I'm still waiting on a reply to my facebook message to Senator Jackson. He seems to be having trouble keeping up...

23mako

Ten Pointer
Got this reply from him:

Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.

Maybe you should tell him the above. That is straight from the CDC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers.

Maybe you should tell him the above. That is straight from the CDC

Oh Democrats know that.

They want to raise the smoking age to 21 and have done so in some areas (I am not a smoker)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Jeff Jackson
8 hrs ·

I don't think my army service gives me any special credibility in our national gun debate, but has given me lots of experience with different types of weapons.

There is a voice in the gun debate that says, "You don't know anything about weapons. You're just afraid of what you don't understand. Don't regulate out of ignorance."

Except - a lot of us do understand weapons. A lot of us are even comfortable with them, in the right context.

There is a growing number of informed and experienced gun users who are telling us that doing nothing in the face of this violence is unacceptable - and that there are steps we can take, like universal background checks and extreme risk protective orders, that are long overdue.

Lawmakers aren't failing to act because of policy ignorance - they're failing because of political fear. More gun users should let them know you expect them to take reasonable steps to protect our students, teachers, and families. And that if you can't change their mind, you'll work to change their job.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The NC Democrats are not stupid.

They are putting someone with firearms and weapons knowledge as their point on enacting gun controls.

Last edited: