cast net size? they drop the limit on size?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looking at using a cast net on Falls, Gaston and Kerr.
From everything I find there is no permit needed and dont need Special device permit if not selling and only going after none gamefish. Catfish bait.

What I can not find was they had at one time a limit to the size. Don't see it now.
Along with that line of thinking if there was one say 8' think that was what it was at one time, are you good with going from the manufacturer number or do they measure it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No size limit that I am aware of. Depending on how your boat is set up I prefer 7'. Of course I have back problems and when bait is tough and you may have to throw one for hours I also have a 5' one as a spare. When I had my big boat I had a 9' as I had plenty of room up front to throw it.

There is a limit on the number of shad you can catch, even for bait. Gizzard and threadfin is 200 per person per day.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No size limit that I am aware of. Depending on how your boat is set up I prefer 7'. Of course I have back problems and when bait is tough and you may have to throw one for hours I also have a 5' one as a spare. When I had my big boat I had a 9' as I had plenty of room up front to throw it.

There is a limit on the number of shad you can catch, even for bait. Gizzard and threadfin is 200 per person per day.

Mine is a 6' for the same reason because my back. It is in need of repairs or just get another and keep it for a backup.
Planned for a 6 or 7' this time also.
Yep been trying to get up on all the info. I remember the 200 limit.

Can still catch white perch and bluegill on hook for live bait also from what I remember but no limit seen for them.

Thanks

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine is a 6' for the same reason because my back. It is in need of repairs or just get another and keep it for a backup.
Planned for a 6 or 7' this time also.
Yep been trying to get up on all the info. I remember the 200 limit.

Can still catch white perch and bluegill on hook for live bait also from what I remember but no limit seen for them.

Thanks
They removed the creel and size limit on crappie here on HR a few years back and we use them for flathead bait some when we catch them with bream on rod and reel.

I suspect that is going to change back fairly soon as the size on crappie are starting to rebound fairly nicely.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I think they changed the law where you can keep white perch caught in a cast net.... all others like bream etc must be hook and line..

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think they changed the law where you can keep white perch caught in a cast net.... all others like bream etc must be hook and line..
They did, but heaven help you if you throw a net over a school of them any size. I have just once, it was a fluke. I had about a 100 in there about 10-12" long. You haven't ever lived to you have pulled about 50-60 of those devils out with their gill plates wrapped in a cast net.

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
I use a 6’ mainly because of elbow and joint issues. My bro in law uses a 10’. I don’t think there’s any size limit.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
They did, but heaven help you if you throw a net over a school of them any size. I have just once, it was a fluke. I had about a 100 in there about 10-12" long. You haven't ever lived to you have pulled about 50-60 of those devils out with their gill plates wrapped in a cast net.

For sure that will cut you up.....
I always cuss them gill plates. Thats why I started putting them on a hook they done pissed me off...

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love them for flathead bait, always have. Here they are probably the best there is because they are the primary native forage for them. But they are a PITA.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i am sure you all know this but a cloth (shop rag or heavier) used in handling them calms them down for some reason.

they used to school at jordan acres at a time but were not as much fun until i was shown that trick.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

I’ll see your white perch in a cast net and raise you a school of gar in a gill net.
You’ll be using profanity you didn’t even know you knew and making up new words as well:):):):):)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ll see your gar and perch and raise you a school of 8” blue cats in a cast net.
No, absolutely no on the small catfish. Anything that small in the catfish family and I put gloves on when I get them in a net. Between lymes and old age my fingers aren't nimble and don't grasp well. If they don't get me getting them out of the net they will get me on the throw back in, either way I am guaranteed to get finned before they make it back to the water.

Never caught a gar in a cast net thank goodness, but I have gotten them out of and seen what they would do to a seine.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy caught 8 gar about 24 inches each in a 6 foot cast net. He was PO"d for sure.... that net wasn't much good after trying to get all those gar teeth out of that net.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
They removed the creel and size limit on crappie here on HR a few years back and we use them for flathead bait some when we catch them with bream on rod and reel.

I suspect that is going to change back fairly soon as the size on crappie are starting to rebound fairly nicely.

Shhhh! No there are not... there are no big crappie in High Rock ya'll stay home or go somewhere else ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
how big are those that do not exist? :)

1.75 to 2lb+ is what I consider big fish for NC lakes, so I guess that means if big fish were being caught in High Rock this is how big they would have to be :D

I don't know how much the no size and creel limit has helped, and how much of it is just the natural cycle of a lake (I'm not a biologist), but I can say that I have seen a noticeable difference in the overall quality of the fish on High Rock in the last couple years.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1.75 to 2lb+ is what I consider big fish for NC lakes, so I guess that means if big fish were being caught in High Rock this is how big they would have to be :D

I don't know how much the no size and creel limit has helped, and how much of it is just the natural cycle of a lake (I'm not a biologist), but I can say that I have seen a noticeable difference in the overall quality of the fish on High Rock in the last couple years.
Yep, it really has.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

understand. your standards are very high. it would be easy to assume the correlation between the size limit removal and bigguns given the timing of the change.

i would not care the reason as long as they are biting and are that big.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Could have been the natural predatation of the blue catfish done it. There are plenty of them there in the 30s and 40s now. They teamed up with the flatheads and it just happened to coincide with the timeframe that they removed the creel/size limit. But you know those biologist, they are going to take the credit for it, they said the whole time over population was the issue. LOL

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Could have been the natural predatation of the blue catfish done it. There are plenty of them there in the 30s and 40s now. They teamed up with the flatheads and it just happened to coincide with the timeframe that they removed the creel/size limit. But you know those biologist, they are going to take the credit for it, they said the whole time over population was the issue. LOL

wonder why they put those limits on initially?

trying to fix what problem?

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
wonder why they put those limits on initially?

trying to fix what problem?
Probably as a preventive measure, doubt it was a fix to anything when it was initially put on. I doubt they had any idea that lake was going to turn into a nutrient rich bait fish mecca that it has. Or to put it more bluntly a silt laden cesspool.