Lost a friend and neighbor today

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't hardly ever make posts like this, but felt he needed to be honored.

At least one on here grew up close to him as I did. The guy kept the bad stuff close to the vest all his life. He was a catbird to say the least. But he was honest and you never had any doubt where you stood with him.

He was a true American hero that went on in his sleep this morning. He was 95, he never wanted to be a burden to anyone and he pretty much got his wish. Rest easy Jack.

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/NC/20141106/Lifestyle/605038643/LD/

lbksmom

Banned
I am gratefull for his service, not many ww1 vets left. Sure is a great loss, prayers for the family.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He sounds like a true American hero, not many like this generation left unfortunately. Sorry for the loss of your friend and the loss of one of the great ones.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Have known several vets like your friend. i always enjoyed their company. Little :donk:donk:donk:donk never bothered them.

With tales like this we know why.

God bless them all.

Thanks for sharing.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I wish more men like him, TRUE Americans, could and would voice their stories to the young people of today. What this man fought for, and the hell he endured for this country, many today want to toss away. Sorry for your loss, but thanks for posting.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Tim, I got a call from my cousin the day that Jack died and plan on being in Lexington tomorrow.
Jack was a good friend to many and will be sorely missed.
You know all this Tim but for any others.
Jack was a "card" but as Tim said, you knew where you stood with him and he would help anyone without fail [no matter the job at hand].
Jack, like my uncles, had very little to say about that war but would answer a question or two if pressed.
They all grew into great men and deserved far more respect than they got from the general public, they were all some of the most well respected in our little community and by all who worked with or knew them at all.
None of our Veterans are supported at a level due them IMO and we all need to do more for them.

RIP Jack and thank you for your service and sacrifices in defense of us all and our country.:wave:

Last edited:

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I don't hardly ever make posts like this, but felt he needed to be honored.

http://www.the-dispatch.com/article/NC/20141106/Lifestyle/605038643/LD/

Can't think of a better way to honor someone than sharing his memory and it having an impact on complete stranger both to him and yourself.

My grandfather also never talked about his ordeal. If we even asked him short answer questions he'd have nightmares that evening.

That generation.......words can not describe!

Sorry for the loss to you, his family, his friends, his neighbors, and this country because of his passing. But thank you so much for posting this!!!!

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Jack was never fond of cameras as shown in this photo of my cousin and I with Jack at my cousins 60th birthday party several years ago.
This IS his happy face.

Attachments

• jj 3-2018 iphonedump 903.JPG
    jj 3-2018 iphonedump 903.JPG
    172.2 KB · Views: 28

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
The photo is the last I have of him and my cousin who passed with ALS. He was sick at this time but still mobile.
Jack was just a collateral person in this photo as it was taken to get Lonnie and I in a photo together.
Jack was yakking and smiling soon after.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The photo is the last I have of him and my cousin who passed with ALS. He was sick at this time but still mobile.
Jack was just a collateral person in this photo as it was taken to get Lonnie and I in a photo together.
He was yakking and smiling soon after.
On a lighter note, your hair turned that funny color mine has since that pic. LOL