Hamilton

silvertip

Six Pointer
Anything you need to watch out for at Hamilton? Have fished for years at Weldon and Scotland Neck. Just wanting to try somewhere new and get away from the crowd. Thanks

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Our ramp sucks. It is very steep and with the water as low as it is right now, it is too short. The floating dock is about 8 feet away from the water too. Great place to launch when the water is up but it can be a struggle when it is not. I went Saturday at first light and was number 1 to put in. Came out about 10 and there were 3 more trailers and that's it. Most folks don't want to take a chance on it like this.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Caught about 25 stripers between Thursday, Friday and Saturday and lost count of the shad. They have opened the dam again so it will screw the bite up for a few days. You can always count on it to happen Easter weekend. I guess that is the best way to stop the bite when a lot of folks are off and able to fish.

Reactions: DRS

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
13 rock and 40+ shad in about 2 hours this afternoon. Water is perfect but I will bet that changes soon!!

Last edited:

tmb58

Spike
What is the best bait down that way.I live up on the the upper end of Roanoke 10 min. from landing.Quit fishing there 30 years ago because of the crowds.Have seen people ready to fight over fishing holes.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I have been casting for the most part but I did keep a couple of shad for some bottom fishing tomorrow after work. They are hitting just about anything you throw at them.

PTman

Four Pointer
im not looking for your spots but can you give some pointers on what to look for as far as where to fish? main river, mouth of creeks, in the bends? i've never fished the river before last weekend.
i went down to jamesville for the first time last weekend and was surprised by how deep the river was down there. caught a few small ones . im thinking about heading back down that way, either hamilton or williamston, on saturday depending on weather.

we were throwing flukes and swim baits. didnt seem like anybody was really catching much last weekend. hoping they will keep the river the same level and maybe fishing will be better

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
I have the best luck in mixing water and anywhere the water has formed an eddy. And swim baits always get a strike;). Looks like a good weekend except for the storms.

PTman

Four Pointer
thanks for the info. probably wont be able to make it down there this weekend. the in-laws are in town and we did pretty good fishing from the bank at weldon yesterday. will probably go back there again today so he has a good chance of catching something. i know he wont want to fish in the rain and cold on saturday. maybe next weekend, but hopefully the fish will be closer to weldon by then

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
It sucked today but the water is rising. Mid-week next week should be good if they don't release more water again.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
The bite has been good the last few days. Actually had 2 fat female slot fish today that were released. A 24.5" and a 23". Luckily I got my keepers soon after:cool:

PTman

Four Pointer
went last night for first time ever on river out of weldon. we caught 3 keepers and probably 15 total in a little over an hour before dark

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Fished from 4:30 to 7 with a "newbie" and we caught 80 stripers this afternoon along with over 50 white perch. We kept rock and 35 of the perch. All caught on artificial baits. I ended with 64 and he had 16, but again he has never caught them casting. I think he is hooked now. Back to the woods tomorrow looking for bird #2.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Fished from 4:30 to 7 with a "newbie" and we caught 80 stripers this afternoon along with over 50 white perch. We kept rock and 35 of the perch. All caught on artificial baits. I ended with 64 and he had 16, but again he has never caught them casting. I think he is hooked now. Back to the woods tomorrow looking for bird #2.
Were you catching them with the river high. Wanting to go, and the Tar hasn't crest yet. Water was out of the bank in some places and to the top in others.

Might have to head your way Friday and Sat.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
It was at a perfect level but has come up a foot since I took out yesterday. I know there was a good bite this morning but have not heard from this afternoon. I was tied up so the boat stayed dry today. I did have a nice mess of rock and perch to clean earlier though!!

PTman

Four Pointer
man, that sounds awesome. we went to weldon again last night. it was VERY busy and the bite was much slower than last week. i would love to get into some nice perch. what were you catching them on?

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
My buddy and I were throwing rock baits that were big and the perch were still chewing on them. Just about any type of mini jig will work though. He went back this evening and mopped up again on bottom rigs with worms. Looks like the rising water didn't slow things down so I will probably hit it again tomorrow after work.

PTman

Four Pointer
Those must have been some nice perch. Sounds like things are better downstream. Things have been slower up here in Weldon the last couple days. The ramp in Weldon will be insane this weekend so I will probably stay away from there for a few says