Looks pretty deer attractant

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
For those who may not know, day lilies are a great deer favorite. They have been hammering the ones in the yard for years so last fall, when the wife divided them, there are always a lot more than she wants, I took the leftovers and set them out around the edges of the food plots. You don't have to do a thing to them, just rough up the dirt a little and throw them on the ground. They are like iris and will root anywhere. Checked them a couple of days ago and they are all eaten down. That's ok cause they keep coming back and the deer keep using. Eventually they will move on to something else as the spring progresses and you will have some nice flowers around the food plot. They will spread on their own so no maintenance really.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been doing it all wrong. Fencing mine off and standing watch over them diligently.
They love tulips even more, maybe I'll look for all those bags of closeout tulip bulbs for an addition to my foodplots.
BTW..if I was caught feeding daylilies to the deer my wife would be convinced I had gone over the edge, those darn things are addictive.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
They sure are. Just seems like the ones in the yard won't ever get big enough to divide. When they do, some are going to the plot as well. I may not kill a deer but I'll have the prettiest flowers. LOL.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Hostas are also a big favorite of the deer.

Which is why I've never understood why the deer around here have never touched the Hostas my wife has planted around our property.

(I may have to transplant some of the wife's day lilies into a spot I have).

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they sure are. Just seems like the ones in the yard won't ever get big enough to divide. When they do, some are going to the plot as well. I may not kill a deer but i'll have the prettiest flowers. Lol.

Yep...you can wear em in your hair for easter. *grin* nttiawwt.... ;)

Last edited:

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My father-in-law has pots upon pots upon pots of day lilies that he crosses over to make new ones. all he does is fuss about the deer eating them. I just laugh to myself.