All this talk of gun grabbing makes me want to go grab another one or two...

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Psa has been my go to for AR parts, uppers and lowers. Aero precision is another economy ar lower maker. I have not tried Anderson and do not know about them.

AgingDisgracefully

Button Buck
Psa has been my go to for AR parts, uppers and lowers. Aero precision is another economy ar lower maker. I have not tried Anderson and do not know about them.

Most of the forged receivers are fine. Many are out of spec in some way (the grip screw track being a good example) but I have never really had much problem with forged receivers. Andersons are fine.

I have had friends who had trouble with billet receivers.

AgingDisgracefully

Button Buck
BTW look at Sig.
They did not make the lower or the upper [the gun]
The slides, frames and barrels can be changed.
The SN part and the gun is a block that has the FCG in it.

One could say... What was ATF thinking when they did that?

All good examples. Another hilarious recent example is the Tavor.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Great input guys - interesting reading.

What if I don't want to bother building an AR, and just picked up an M&P 15 Sport II for just over $500 to put in the safe next to my mini-14? Is this a bad way to fill my AR void? Are there better budget options? I really don't care to have more than one AR, and would be getting the one just in case I can't do so later...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Great input guys - interesting reading.

What if I don't want to bother building an AR, and just picked up an M&P 15 Sport II for just over $500 to put in the safe next to my mini-14? Is this a bad way to fill my AR void? Are there better budget options? I really don't care to have more than one AR, and would be getting the one just in case I can't do so later...

not at all..just make sure any gun you get, any brand AR is "milspec" so they say. By that made from the correct Alloy and steel, no plastic, carbon fiber, ......

If you do that than anything you want to do can be done.

Same for AR10, by that not sure I could go S&W. They have parts that are their design. At one time there were no barrels for them and you needed to have one made using the barrel ext from yours adding cost and problems.

450 to 500 is a good price for an AR if you are happy with what it is.
That saying if you want, name brand trigger, Magpul stock, grip and FF tube you would be better of with a build.

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
The ruger msr can be had for around the same price as the sport...I own both and prefer the ruger...but both are quite good

I would also recommend buying a case of 5.56 and a couple 10/22s with bx25 clips if you can

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. That's what I thought, but feel better with confirmation from somebody who knows a whole lot more about these rifles than I do. And Mace Sports (close to me) carries them.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks. That's what I thought, but feel better with confirmation from somebody who knows a whole lot more about these rifles than I do. And Mace Sports (close to me) carries them.

I think I have 4 or 5 deltons and several.CMMG along with others.
No problems.

Want cool check out Seekins. Built a few nice hunting guns with there lowers.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
All kinds of great info here guys. Thanks for all the input and review of the past laws and such. Obviously we don't know what will go down, but looking back can show us what they aim for banning (pun intended). The bill introduced by Rep Jackson doesn't look like it would affect AR builds other than to prevent "bump stocks," unless I'm reading it wrong.

Now I just have to find a store with stuff in stock... Any gun shop owners on this thread? I'd love to buy local and save on the FFL transfer fee...

Last edited:

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Now I just have to find a store with stuff in stock... Any gun shop owners on this thread? I'd love to buy local and save on the FFL transfer fee...

Don't know where you are but Johns Militia in Hickory NC behind Valley Hills Mall has everything you need to build or buy complete, in there today and prices were not bad.

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Picked up a lower at John's Militia today in Hickory for my 300BLK that i have been swapping back and forth, also give NRA some $ because of the Anti 2A marches going on.