Gun Cleaning Products - extensive test

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just wanted to share a series of gun-cleaning product tests that a guy over on Shotgunworld.com conducted a few years ago. The extent to which he went to test these gun cleaning / lubricating products is pretty amazing, and I thought you guys would appreciate it, and maybe even learn a thing or two.

If you have a few minutes and a cup of coffee, this is an interesting read, even if you just scroll through it:

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=398836

One thing I took away is that I should probably always have a can or two of 'Hornady One Shot' in my cleaning kit and along on any extended hunting trips. I was also very surprised at how well a WD-40 product scored...

Gun Cleaners.jpg

Enjoy!

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
I dug through that a couple months ago. Awesome test and tons of good info on it! Very interesting to me how some are awesome at one thing but terrible at another. Very few were truly good all around

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Best thing i found using frog lube is the wife dont fuss at me for cleaning guns in the kitchen any more from the smell!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

2boyz

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for posting. Hornady One Shot was recommended to me a few weeks ago due to no odor. As noted above, this is a HUGE deal at home.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive been a rem oil fan forever. Im sure there are better out there, but it cleans and lubes well. Havent messed up a finish yet. Cant say that about others.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought some frog lube several years back, but after reading about it's incompatibility with every other product on the market, I've never used it. It was supposed to be this great product, but I can't use something that turns to a gummy mess if it happens to come in contact with another product. I guess you're supposed to strip all the oil off of everything and follow a specific application process, but that seemed like way too much work, with so many other good options out there.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I bought some frog lube several years back, but after reading about it's incompatibility with every other product on the market, I've never used it. It was supposed to be this great product, but I can't use something that turns to a gummy mess if it happens to come in contact with another product. I guess you're supposed to strip all the oil off of everything and follow a specific application process, but that seemed like way too much work, with so many other good options out there.
Marketing ploy in my experience but yours may vary. Never had any issues using it and i know its been in contact with clp, rem oil, wd40 and others.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns

Several years back when it was just starting out they went to shops to sell it or had sales representatives do it.
I was at one when the showed off the lube. Was turned away from it as they pushed it was a ground up oil. You must clean and dry gun from anything....
Warm slide and metal parts in sun or oven then apply it to the metal working it in. Let dry and wipe extra off..

That told me that it would not work for cold weather or work how I gun.
Need something I can apply then run and gun.

Never tried it based on that and same as you said, no other oil.

BTW did not see any of my oil/grease tested.
Not sure gun steel would act the same as the steel in the test.

Last edited: