Shad Fishing at the Rockfish Capital of the World

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Aki, Adam, and my son and myself went to the Noke last Sunday and absolutely slayed em te last 2 hours before dark. it was doubles on and triples om many times. You can watch the boys laughing at me near the end.

[video=youtube_share;RbDcuf7bB-I]https://youtu.be/RbDcuf7bB-I[/video]

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
Did the same in Hamilton this afternoon along with some rock and largemouth. Going bottom fishing in the morning with the fresh shad.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
heck I don't know,,,,just messing with btsharky - we're fixing on hitting the wild blue ocean soon

and never know,,,,ol' tim may show up - he secretly likes pickled fish,,,,,

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, I might. It is getting time for me to start drifting for blues. I never have been a fan of stinkbait but I may make an exception and try some of that stuff for them. :rolleyes:

Besides I have a couple pups on the way, make good feeder bait. I bet a coon could smell that as far as soured corn.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
In the video, yall were talking about herring. Aside from being way smaller, the easiest way to tell the difference is herring only have one black spot. American shad have a line of solid black spots and the hickory have one solid and a line of faded looking spots.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Never tried shad fishing looks really fun,just might have to try it next year , when do they usually run up there and how long does the season last

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Never tried shad fishing looks really fun,just might have to try it next year , when do they usually run up there and how long does the season last

Basically for hickories late Feb to 3rd week in April but some are there sometimes earlier . I caught my first of Feb 12th this year . Sometimes the hickories stay a week or 2 longer towards the end of April but when the Rock get in there thick they high tail it back to the oceam. The white shad stay till late may early june.

Last edited:

cmcarter

Six Pointer
My wife, brother and I are headed there today to fight the crowd before the tourney weekend. I’ll keep y’all posted on how it looks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk