RIP Stephen Hawking

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
“Every knee will bow” even those who are super educated and book smart. On that day they will realize that they were not smarter than God. As a Christian it’s not our responsibility to debate you, just to make you aware of the Gospel. Science and theory will not give you eternal life, acceptance in Jesus Christ will.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
Yes. Like I said earlier, a theorem in math can only yield one ‘right’ answer and therefore can be ‘proven’ to be true. A scientific theory can have infinite data points and permutations and as such can never be ‘proven’ to be 100% true.

Sent from my iPhone

So in a fission chemistry equation you can't prove out the answer by solving the math and making the nuke go bang in real life. Chemistry and physics are dependent on math and making real life observations. that is where we agree.

Now the proof can be elusive or very simple. I'll give tyou an example. The math states that a uranium fission weapon should be able go bang by hitting 2 pieces together at the speed a normal rifle round would travel. Proof? Load em up and try them out. We did that in the 1940s at the trinity site. We got a big bang too.

Scientists, most anyway, are not trying to be smarter than "God" or out do religion. Science is the search for the truth, unbiased, where the facts lead you. We are scratching the surface of really understanding this world and the universe we live in. As modern science starts to understand some of these weird physical laws like string theory or gravitational waves I believe it get us closer to our spirituality, not further.

It is sad to see so many of faith judge a good man like Hawking without knowing him and from the comments not understanding what his work was.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
There’s differences between theories and laws, folks. Chemistry and physics both have laws that are mathematically proven (gravity, thermodynamics, etc...). Biology is much different in that regard, as it has no laws. Again, much of this stuff comes down to semantics with definitions.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
“Every knee will bow” even those who are super educated and book smart. On that day they will realize that they were not smarter than God. As a Christian it’s not our responsibility to debate you, just to make you aware of the Gospel. Science and theory will not give you eternal life, acceptance in Jesus Christ will.

That’s a good thing because you don’t actually bring anything to debate with.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Technically according to your religion everyone has eternal life..the only difference in a believer and non is where and under what circumstance one spends that eternal life after death.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
There’s differences between theories and laws, folks. Chemistry and physics both have laws that are mathematically proven (gravity, thermodynamics, etc...). Biology is much different in that regard, as it has no laws. Again, much of this stuff comes down to semantics with definitions.[/QUOT

Every Law started as a theory that had to be proven.:eek:

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
There’s also a difference between a theory and a hypothesis. Most people use them interchangeably, but they’re not.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
I didn't want to mention the scientific method or the fact that once an idea goes from a hypothesis to a theory it's pretty well proven. Some of our members are so misinformed on science that I figured it was fruitless.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

And anyone that can live to the ripe old age of 76 with ALS is one tough old SOB. RIP Stephen.

Someone mentioned disability. Far worse than that. In 1963, age 21, diagnosed with ALS and given 2 years to live. Never heard of anyone survive more than 5 years with ALS. No one. So he was suffering from the symptoms longer than I've been alive(October '63). The following is one quote that stands out.
"As he slowly lost the ability to write, he developed compensatory visual methods, including seeing equations in terms of geometry.[252][253] The physicist Werner Israel later compared the achievements to Mozart composing an entire symphony in his head."

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Someone mentioned disability. Far worse than that. In 1963, age 21, diagnosed with ALS and given 2 years to live. Never heard of anyone survive more than 5 years with ALS. No one. So he was suffering from the symptoms longer than I've been alive(October '63). The following is one quote that stands out.
"As he slowly lost the ability to write, he developed compensatory visual methods, including seeing equations in terms of geometry.[252][253] The physicist Werner Israel later compared the achievements to Mozart composing an entire symphony in his head."

exactly,,,to some he "wasn't all that" but to me, the man achieved things I can only hope for

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
exactly,,,to some he "wasn't all that" but to me, the man achieved things I can only hope for
Yes, and one can only imagine what more Hawking could have achieved if he hadn't been slowed down by ALS.

As it is, he'll be remembered long after we're gone......

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
This response, imo, was very uncalled for. Classless actually.

For the record I wasn’t calling him stupid. Past experience says that he doesn’t actually debate the science. He just declares that anybody who doesn’t accept his version of the gospel is going to Hell without any other explanation.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
For the record I wasn’t calling him stupid. Past experience says that he doesn’t actually debate the science. He just declares that anybody who doesn’t accept his version of the gospel is going to Hell without any other explanation.

It’s not my version it’s God’s version and according to His word you will spend eternity in either heaven or hell. You believe in Him or you don’t there is no basically almost.

I’m not opposed to science, but I understand where the gifts of intelligence to be a scientist comes from. As does everything else.

You don’t need to explain your comment to me because you don’t have the power to offend me. I am confident in who I am not because of what I’ve done but because of what God has done. I know where I will spend eternity, do you? You can know and I pray that you accept it.

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
It’s not my version it’s God’s version and according to His word you will spend eternity in either heaven or hell. You believe in Him or you don’t there is no basically almost.

I’m not opposed to science, but I understand where the gifts of intelligence to be a scientist comes from. As does everything else.

You don’t need to explain your comment to me because you don’t have the power to offend me. I am confident in who I am not because of what I’ve done but because of what God has done. I know where I will spend eternity, do you? You can know and I pray that you accept it.

I’m pretty confident.

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
What many people don’t realize is that science proves the validity of the Bible, sometimes through ways it cannot disprove. For example, “which came first the chicken or the egg?” Well if you believe the Bible then the answer would be the chicken, if you believe evolution then you still have no clear answer. The Bible also states that the earth is round, long before science ever said it was. There are many many more examples, but my point being that saying the Bible is not true contradicts the very science that you believe in.

Good argument and classily said.