Rockfish in the Roanoke at Jamesville

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
We fished the Roanoke River on Saturday and that fact there...is unfortunate, we should have stayed in Raleigh and fished locally. We didn't get there in the early AM but we fished the morning without a bite. Scratch that we did get one bite, and landed a shad. We then continued to cast and reel, and cast and reel until the sun started going down at which point we decided to sit and wait...and sit...and wait. They weren't biting cut bait or lures or anything for our crew that day. It's not to say that there weren't fish in the river, they were, but man it's a ton of short fish. We only found one boat that had caught a keeper striper the whole day. Talk about slow, the one boat fishing cut herring had ten or so shorties to the boat and a few black fish, just to add to the frustration. That was the slowest day of fishing I've ever endured, so slow I ate lunch twice and I've never done that in a boat, I'm usually to locked in to eat. I hope others had better days but I can say for sure if you fished the Jamesville ramp you were probably in similar water, and if you did fish that ramp and caught fish, keeper fish that is, I'd like to hear about it because I can't stand the smell of skunk on my fishing boat. We might go next weekend but I think we're going to wait for the water temp to creep into the mid fifties before we try that skunk fest again. I'll post if we go, good bad or ugly.

Keep your line tight folks, the rock and roll will never die, just hang your hair down in your eyes, you'll make a million dollars. Cheers.

Jeff

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
We fished the Roanoke River on Saturday and that fact there...is unfortunate, we should have stayed in Raleigh and fished locally. We didn't get there in the early AM but we fished the morning without a bite. Scratch that we did get one bite, and landed a shad. We then continued to cast and reel, and cast and reel until the sun started going down at which point we decided to sit and wait...and sit...and wait. They weren't biting cut bait or lures or anything for our crew that day. It's not to say that there weren't fish in the river, they were, but man it's a ton of short fish. We only found one boat that had caught a keeper striper the whole day. Talk about slow, the one boat fishing cut herring had ten or so shorties to the boat and a few black fish, just to add to the frustration. That was the slowest day of fishing I've ever endured, so slow I ate lunch twice and I've never done that in a boat, I'm usually to locked in to eat. I hope others had better days but I can say for sure if you fished the Jamesville ramp you were probably in similar water, and if you did fish that ramp and caught fish, keeper fish that is, I'd like to hear about it because I can't stand the smell of skunk on my fishing boat. We might go next weekend but I think we're going to wait for the water temp to creep into the mid fifties before we try that skunk fest again. I'll post if we go, good bad or ugly.

Keep your line tight folks, the rock and roll will never die, just hang your hair down in your eyes, you'll make a million dollars. Cheers.

Jeff

UPDATE. We won't be fishing the Roanoke we're still licking wounds after that horrible showing last week. Anyhow, we'll be out on Jordan chasin' tales up the river, and maybe find some Stripers but if not we'll be slamming those bucket mouth bass. Cheers Folks.

LawDog

Ten Pointer
UPDATE. We won't be fishing the Roanoke we're still licking wounds after that horrible showing last week. Anyhow, we'll be out on Jordan chasin' tales up the river, and maybe find some Stripers but if not we'll be slamming those bucket mouth bass. Cheers Folks.

Shoot me a PM with any striper report from Jordan...use to fish that area a lot years ago when the striper fishing was really good. Best of luck.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
Shoot me a PM with any striper report from Jordan...use to fish that area a lot years ago when the striper fishing was really good. Best of luck.

NADDA LOTTA LUCK haha. We saw a bunch of potential down near the dam, lots of fishy stuff on the scanner but didn't raise a striper. We did get a few largemouth though and based on a tournament at the Robeson boat ramp on the Haw, we would have been top three or possibly numero uno. The fishing was tough, water was cold and muddy especially in the creek / river. I believe, if we would have trolled for striper we would have gotten into a few but we wanted to get a guaranteed bite so we went after largemouth. Not much good info but that's what I got for ya.