Weekend of first

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Had a pretty good weekend of fishing and was able to knock a couple species of the list that I had never caught. Saturday we went trolling for crappie but didn't go as planned, but I did hook up on my first bowfin. That was a fun fight on light action trolling rods for sure. Then Sunday my buddy text and said let's hit the river I've got good intel on a shad spot. I've never even fished for shad but been waiting for the right opportunity to go, being I'm about an hour and 15 mins from most good shad spots.

We get there and on the second cast with a white grub and pink head I thought I had hooked a 5lb bass the way it pulled. Pulled it in the boat and it was a 17 inch hickory. From then on it was one of those days you hear about on the shad run. About every 5th cast one of us was hooking up. In no time we had out limit. Probably the most fun I've had catching fish in a while. Definatley something that will become a regular species that I target every year, now that I know what all the hype is about.

bbe3881d034f7aaa250ad7875f859c49.jpg
6c9844495491f6da9f0d3712d491c0a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
you gonna have to start using some of the bowfins creative nicknames if you keep catching them. MF toothy btards comes to mind. GD grinnel has been used as well. :)

of course that is by folks that cant appreciate the finer characteristics of the species.

Congrats on your fish, that shad bite sounds/ was outstanding.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
you gonna have to start using some of the bowfins creative nicknames if you keep catching them. MF toothy btards comes to mind. GD grinnel has been used as well. :)

of course that is by folks that cant appreciate the finer characteristics of the species.

Congrats on your fish, that shad bite sounds/ was outstanding.

I did have a few choice words for it during the whole ordeal. He rolled in the net about 10 times and the long tip of his gill plate was tangled up pretty bad. The whole time i was trying to get him untangled any time my hands got close to his head he would turn and snap at me like a dang snapping turtle. Not to mention the whole boat stunk like hell afterwards.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I did have a few choice words for it during the whole ordeal. He rolled in the net about 10 times and the long tip of his gill plate was tangled up pretty bad. The whole time i was trying to get him untangled any time my hands got close to his head he would turn and snap at me like a dang snapping turtle. Not to mention the whole boat stunk like hell afterwards.

and thus the need for the derogatory names. LOL.

if you ever want to catch a pile of them on purpose you can take a trip on the lumber river. for size jordan is tough to beat.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Real men lip their first bowfins for the pic............said “real men” are usually referred to as “nubby”, “stumpy” or “ol four fingers” after that:):):):)

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats on the Shad. Shad fever is awesome and bad. It is my favorite fishing to do in the spring. It is the main reason by big bass catches have gone down as in the spring i think well tomorrow I can go hit that spot where i have a realistic shot at a good 7-10 lb bass(i do have several of them) or can go shad fishing. Shad fishing wins most of the time. Aki and i were talking about that the other day on the river and he agreed shad > big bass.

Bruiser

Old Mossy Horns
Congrats on the Shad. Shad fever is awesome and bad. It is my favorite fishing to do in the spring. It is the main reason by big bass catches have gone down as in the spring i think well tomorrow I can go hit that spot where i have a realistic shot at a good 7-10 lb bass(i do have several of them) or can go shad fishing. Shad fishing wins most of the time. Aki and i were talking about that the other day on the river and he agreed shad > big bass.

Bring that bait fish you're catching to the Pungo and we'll catch plenty of fish!

;);):D

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I remember my first bowfin.... a spinner bait on Rodman Reservoir in Florida. I too thought I had stuck a good one hahahaha.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

i know you are pretty much full of it (as all good fishermen should be) but shad>big bass?

what's next? brim> drum? :)

Just playing mack. i almost agree with you.

Last edited: