Chancellorsville

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Well another bi-ness trip to Virginia and I had to stop at another historical place. I didn't have as much time this time as the ride was longer. The battle of Chancellorsville is mentioned as R.E. Lee's greatest victory. Out numbered more than 2-1 130k to 60K. He split his army and had Stonewall ride around the flank of Hooker's troops forcing a retreat. This was the battle that Jackson was hit by friendly fire upon returning from a short recon mission. His arm was amputated and he died a few days later.

A surgeon's kit like the one used to amputate Stonewall's arm. That had to hurt :skeerd:

VA. Surgeon's kit.jpg

A cannonball lodged in a tree trunk.

VA. cannonball in a tree.jpg

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Chancellorsville was actually a house and inn owned by the Chancellor family. The house was burned to the ground in the fighting. Only foundation remains.

VA. Chancellor Inn.jpg

Earthworks. Trenches that were dug by the soldiers. This was about 1/2 mile from the Chancellor inn. Now it looks just like a small "hill" in the woods.

Va. earthworks.jpg

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
It is crazy to think of the fighting that took place right on that spot. I believe more than 30,000 were killed over the few days of fighting here. The Wilderness, Chancellorsville, and the 1st battle of Fredericksburg were all within a 10- 15 mile radius. VA. struggle.jpg
VA. sign.jpg

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
That's very ironic! I'm actually watching Ken Burns Civil War on Netflix (again) right now, talking about 1863. While watching, I glace down at my phone and see this post.
It's mind boggling at the carnage that took place in those battles! Unbelievable!
Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
That's very ironic! I'm actually watching Ken Burns Civil War on Netflix (again) right now, talking about 1863. While watching, I glace down at my phone and see this post.
It's mind boggling at the carnage that took place in those battles! Unbelievable!
Thanks for sharing!

It is. When I go to places like this I get a surge of emotions from amazing, to sad, to wonder. The area around there known as the wilderness was described much like a modern day cut over of about 2-3 years old would be. A lot of small trees and brush with large stumps from being logged everywhere. Thick. Just the ground that these troops covered is amazing especially when considering there were no roads or bridges. The pontoon bridges they made were basically wooden row boats tied of to both banks with wooden planks laid over them.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Have been to several of the battlefields and they can be some depressing places if you read and or study the statistics of the killed and wounded; Gettysburg, the sunken road and so many more locations. My GGGrandfather died in Richmond in '62 during the Peninsular Campaign and is buried there, hope to some day get to visit his grave.

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
The area around there known as the wilderness was described much like a modern day cut over of about 2-3 years old would be. A lot of small trees and brush with large stumps from being logged everywhere. Thick. Just the ground that these troops covered is amazing especially when considering there were no roads or bridges. The pontoon bridges they made were basically wooden row boats tied of to both banks with wooden planks laid over them.

I believe there was a battle at The Wilderness where there was a battle there a year prior, maybe one of the two that you're referring to.. The shallow graves were starting to uncover throughout the year, and the soldiers waited with the bones around them as they waiting in ambush. Skeletons littered the ground! Can you imagine camping the night before the battle, seeing those skulls seemingly looking at you in the moonlight, knowing that there was a really good chance that you would be laying next to them in a few short hours!!?

Last edited:

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
Thank you for sharing. Enjoyed the part about Stonewall and his dismounted cavalry.

That man was a pure leader and motivator.

Still a little sad that it was the NC Boys that shot him.