Another potential "skill" for my dog

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Aggie and I were messing around a piece of club land next to the gamelands,,,,there is a small pond there in the border. Ran up a young beaver off the edge and it swam out a bit. Aggie was all about swimming out (retrieve it or play with a new buddy? Not sure) but when the beaver tail slapped and dove she got miffed and hunted that beaver for 5 minutes swimming circles till I called her off

So maybe add "beaver dog" to her training??

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Lol I’d hate to think of the ruckus if she somehow caught one! Beaver would carve a dog like a thanksgiving turkey

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Won't say that I wasn't a tad bit worried on that - I was telling her she didn't want none of that rodent!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The worst :donk:donk:donk:donk show I ever got in short of a dog getting cut up by a hog was when my old yaller cur Jake was a young dog he caught a full grown male beaver way out from water in a clear cut dead in the middle of summer. I heard him baying that thing and fighting and had no idea what was going on. I got there and Jake was doing his best to kill him but wasn't succeeding very well. He was slinging blood everywhere. It turns out it was his and the beavers.

I had a big old male cur and he finally showed up on the scene and when he got there that ended that show. The two of them made short work of him. Jake has hated beavers from that day on and also matured to where he cold handle most of them luckily he hasn't had but a couple more encounters with them.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
You will be amazed at the German dogs, they have bred the prey drive out of so many dogs here in the US. The German hunting dogs are hunting machines. The extreme prey drive makes DD's and WHD (Teckels )the most popular and most versatile hunting dogs in Germany. They will hunt ANYTHING. I've never noticed so many things in the woods until I started following this dog around. Lots of animal dens, scat, bones, areas where animals have been feeding in tree roots or rotten trees torn apart by critters, they are amazing. One problem is my dog will literally kill and eat everything it finds or catches so you do have to be leery of that.

Last edited:

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Had a buddy who’s 100lb Chesapeake bay retriever got killed by a beaver. Beaver bit him in the guts and the vets tried everything possible but could not stop the infection. Took about a week for him to die.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Had a buddy who’s 100lb Chesapeake bay retriever got killed by a beaver. Beaver bit him in the guts and the vets tried everything possible but could not stop the infection. Took about a week for him to die.
They are tougher than they look. And an otter is sho nuff tough.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
When beaver aren't dam building they are fighting each other. I have trapped a bunch, and anyone with any age on it has scars.

With my labs, I will call them off being any where near a live beaver. On the other hand, reduce that beaver to "not alive" status and the dogs retrieve them just fine.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That's ok - no where near harm status for my wild pup - she just likes chasing stuff

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I always chuckle when something dives on the dog...and the look on his face when he starts swimming circles looking for it.

hillbillypossum

Six Pointer
I wouldn't want my dogs in the water chasing beavers my cousin lost both of his dogs to beavers. Bit then drowned. Beavers will kill a dog quickly I'm convinced.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
OK,,yeap, beavers are tough critters,,,,,my dog will have to deal with lots of critters in her life,,,she will figure it out, with my help (some),,,