Deer Dixie Classic

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
Does anyone know what the purpose of the Deer Dixie classic is? I went for the first time this year and was a little disappointed. It seemed like it was mainly guides with a little product mixed in. In thinking about it I figure my disappointment had more to do with my expectations. I was hoping for something like ATA or shot show. I've never been to them but have friends who love seeing new products and innovations that are show cased and that you get to see the product in person. However I didn't see any of that at DDC. It may not be fair to compare them and it got me wondering what the purpose of the event is. Does anyone know?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just an annual gathering of folks. There is some good stuff there....but i only go if i need stuff. There are itmes there that I cant find anywhere else. Every 2-3 years....i go to get some cracker girl....which can be bought online now. I dont mind supporting clubs and groups in their raffle quests.

GreenThumb

Button Buck
I too am disappointed that there aren’t any “Factory Reps” there anymore. It’s changed a lot over the years. When I walk the show and can’t find anything I need to buy I think it might be a sign that I have too much hunting stuff! Please don’t tell my wife I said that.

bowhnter88

Six Pointer
It goes pretty much like this: Deer that people bring to get scored from the past season, Lee and Tiffany Lakosky, overpriced outfitters, people selling game calls, people selling hats, tshirts and decals, gun shops selling overpriced guns, and every booth having a hot woman there to draw you in. Also, everybody and their brother there in camo rubbing shoulder to shoulder and stepping on the back of each others feet. hahah. That's pretty much it.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Does anyone know what the purpose of the Deer Dixie classic is? I went for the first time this year and was a little disappointed. It seemed like it was mainly guides with a little product mixed in. In thinking about it I figure my disappointment had more to do with my expectations. I was hoping for something like ATA or shot show. I've never been to them but have friends who love seeing new products and innovations that are show cased and that you get to see the product in person. However I didn't see any of that at DDC. It may not be fair to compare them and it got me wondering what the purpose of the event is. Does anyone know?

i think i know it's original purpose.
it was to be a gathering of deer heads worthy of attention. a gathering of hunters that wanted to see those heads. a place to use scoring procedures and provide the state with a sense of what NC had in terms of deer.maintain records in terms of what is entered.

it has been wildly successful since it's inception. a lot of folks like to see the deer and buy the stuff available.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
At one time it was a great show in my opinion.
There was factory reps from just about every line.
Many custom gun builders, about every scope made could be seen, factory tables set up that could give great info with no sales push. About every deer stand you could think of for climbing trees with big discounts on last years gear and deals on current gear...

Now it has a different look and lots of the flea market or gun show vendors.
Never seen so much non hunting stuff.

Over the last several years it has lost many vendors because of cost.
Who knows what it will become if they remove the flag and Dixie from the name.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
it was to be a gathering of deer heads worthy of attention. a gathering of hunters that wanted to see those heads. a place to use scoring procedures and provide the state with a sense of what NC had in terms of deer.maintain records in terms of what is entered.

it has been wildly successful since it's inception. a lot of folks like to see the deer and buy the stuff available.

Thanks for that explanation! I was in no way saying the event wasn't good, it just didn't meet my false expectations. I enjoyed walking around and seeing all of the taxidermy but I had it in my mind that the event was something else. Had I gone in with the expectation of just seeing the deer mounts I think I would have been more satisfied with the experience as there definitely were some great mounts to be seen.

nhn2a

Ten Pointer
It goes pretty much like this: Deer that people bring to get scored from the past season, Lee and Tiffany Lakosky, overpriced outfitters, people selling game calls, people selling hats, tshirts and decals, gun shops selling overpriced guns, and every booth having a hot woman there to draw you in. Also, everybody and their brother there in camo rubbing shoulder to shoulder and stepping on the back of each others feet. hahah. That's pretty much it.

Where were all the hot women? I did see a few but I saw a ton more fat old guys :)

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
The classic originally started out as a gathering of hunters across the state to showcase the quality of deer being taken and have there heads scored. alot still come for that reason every year but alot come to see new products .

Southern

Ten Pointer
It has declined at a pace equal with the pace of over commercialization and glamorization of the sport.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
At one time it was a great show in my opinion.
There was factory reps from just about every line.
Many custom gun builders, about every scope made could be seen, factory tables set up that could give great info with no sales push. About every deer stand you could think of for climbing trees with big discounts on last years gear and deals on current gear...

Now it has a different look and lots of the flea market or gun show vendors.
Never seen so much non hunting stuff.

Over the last several years it has lost many vendors because of cost.
Who knows what it will become if they remove the flag and Dixie from the name.

I agree....

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
Gadget is correct in that there used to be excellent factory representation by many of the major brands but other than the Sitka booth I saw no other manufacturer per se showing their goods this year. There were a few decent outfitters from out west and Canada and as others have stated several small to medium size manufacturers pushing calls and clothing. I believe it is a hangover effect from the economy downturn which hasn't come around enough to sway manufacturers to spend the cash for shows like this.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns

The Shot Show and the ATA show are supposedly for dealers and industry representatives only. It is not technically available to the general public.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
The Shot Show and the ATA show are supposedly for dealers and industry representatives only. It is not technically available to the general public.

Thats where the NRA show comes in.
Many of the same vendors and displays are set up there.
Great chance to see people face to face and ask questions even order custom stuff.
They spread them out this year is Texas and if I remember in 2020 should be back in NC. Been to several and great chance to see lots of high end gear.

bb1970

Six Pointer
Speaking of the DDC did anyone see the signs at the booth where they sold the DDC shirts? This year would be the last year that the confederate flag will be on the DDC t-shirts..... I always bought one each year and after seeing that sign they didnt get my $$$$.... Not that im hard core on it or anything just seems like all these groups are caving into these people that protest against the "rebel" flag and all guess there following Dolly Parton as she took the dixie out of her show Dixie stamped.... just gets me a little upset that folks cant be a little more level headed about this stuff that flag is apart of american history as much as anything else..... sorry for the rant.....

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
After you see a hundred deer heads they all look the same. Besides, if none are mine I could care less. Probably one of the dumbest venues of all time. :)

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I went to the original one, Fred Bear was there, as was Tink, and better yet Tink's daughter. It was hard not to buy something from her. But I had my family there, so could not buy one of the 'white tail' tee shirts.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I just went to their site to see if the pictures of this year's winners were up and noticed that the logo has already changed with the NC state flag in place of the battle flag. Had to send them a note to say I wouldn't be coming back and suggested a name change as well. I'm not going to be out anything.

GreenThumb

Button Buck
I remember the early shows in the Kerr Scott building. Later on I met Fred Bear and Chuck Adams, I have signed books from both of them, two of my prized possessions from two of my bow hunting heroes.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just went to their site to see if the pictures of this year's winners were up and noticed that the logo has already changed with the NC state flag in place of the battle flag. Had to send them a note to say I wouldn't be coming back and suggested a name change as well. I'm not going to be out anything.

They changed the logo years ago to the state flag. They just kept making hats and shirts with the old logo.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/8KIgzj44B66mDqfX2 Dixie deer classic 2009 logo was state flag

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer

That's it exactly. I went to the very first DDC years and years ago when it was contained to just the Kerr Scott building. I thought I had died and gone to deer hunter's heaven! It has come a long way since then, to say the least.

country

Ten Pointer
I went for 1st time ever. Was expecting more product companies. My favorite parts were the dog competition and seeing the deer that were scored.

Redneck Rocker Dude

Old Mossy Horns
It was the awesome when I was in high school, granted it was 15 or 20 minutes from the house. Now that it's a bit of a drive I think I've been once or twice, and once was to get a deer scored.

I really enjoy looking at all of this years deer, that's my favorite part. Other than that, if you've been to it once you've been to it a thousand times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk