Favorate diaphragm calls?

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
I probably need to buy a few but I haven't kept up with the new stuff that has come out the past couple years....and don't really feel like doing a lot of research. Thought I might cut to the chase and just ask you folks.

What brand(s) and model(s) do you all like best...and why? Thanks!

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Any call made by Steve Kinder at XT, prefer the "Kee", its a ghost cut with the old thick black tape, but ill play anything he sends me.
Any call made by Sadler McGraw at Champions Choice.
Those are the only 2 guys I deal with and you can reach both of them on FB.

Blades

Six Pointer
Primos Hook Hunter Long Hook Upper Cut.

It’s black and I lose them all the time... oh wait, that was a negative.

Last edited:

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use either the Woodhaven classic V3 or one by Houndstooth game calls named Vixen. Both are a V-cut.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I use Roost'em calls for all my calls, based out of Oxford, NC. Triple reeds ghost cut and batwing or split batwing a lot

Last edited:

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen since 1977, the OB Hens made in the 70's-90's were much better than the new ones however!! Luckily I bought them by the dozen several years ago so I have some of the originals left.

I've tried Kinder's calls and they are excellent.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Quaker Boy Old Boss Hen since 1977, the OB Hens made in the 70's-90's were much better than the new ones however!! Luckily I bought them by the dozen several years ago so I have some of the originals left.

I've tried Kinder's calls and they are excellent.

I know one your talking about its the white one Midwest was only place I could find em and that was couple years ago. I learned to use mouth call with it easy to run double reed

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know one your talking about its the white one Midwest was only place I could find em and that was couple years ago. I learned to use mouth call with it easy to run double reed

I started out with the QB Pro Triple, but it was too sensitive so I switched to the OB Hen when I discovered I could cover up a lot of mistakes with it!! :p

dpoutdoor

Ten Pointer
XT are my favorite, excellent calls! Highly recommend. I also really like the Tom Teasers redneck hen.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Great feedback everybody! I've looked into each and every one. Many I've had experience with, but many I had not. Regardless, I appreciate all the input.

On a whim, I got in touch with the forum's "Tarheel Turkey", who has made several pot calls for me over the past few years, and I learned that he is now making mouth calls too. So, I decided to have him make me a few in different styles and see how they compare. They should be ready very soon. If he puts half as much effort into ensuring there's a turkey inside every diaphragms like he does his pot calls, I'm pretty certain they're gonna hold up. I'll let y'all know. Thanks again!

Ferroplasm

Four Pointer
Any recommendations for good small palate calls?

I bought diaphragm calls made by HS Strut this year. One, the double d, came with a call kit and the other is one made for narrow palates. Can't recall the name of the narrow palate model.

As it turns out, the small palate one fits way better. Makes sense since I can never find a ball cap to fit either as they're always too big.

I took some advice I read and tried trimming the perimeter of the larger, double d call, but it still doesn't fit. The internal metal frame is just too large. So I'm now looking for recommendations for small frame calls. Anyone use these?

dhsten

Ten Pointer
Any recommendations for good small palate calls?

I bought diaphragm calls made by HS Strut this year. One, the double d, came with a call kit and the other is one made for narrow palates. Can't recall the name of the narrow palate model.

As it turns out, the small palate one fits way better. Makes sense since I can never find a ball cap to fit either as they're always too big.

I took some advice I read and tried trimming the perimeter of the larger, double d call, but it still doesn't fit. The internal metal frame is just too large. So I'm now looking for recommendations for small frame calls. Anyone use these?

http://www.hookscalls.com/small_frame_diaphragms