Attached tags

Ldsoldier

Old Mossy Horns
IDK.... Back in the day, a guy could say, "where is your tag?"

Funny story. It was opening day of bow season. I stopped by the local store after the afternoon hunt to get a drink. I walked out to see a couple guys looking in the back of the truck. I walked over and saw a dead buck laying there. I sad congrats on the buck. They guy went on the normal elaborate story about how he shot him, etc etc. The other guy (Farmer) was asked if he tagged the buck. Guy said nah, I'm a mile from the house. Farmer said, what about the game warden? The guy said F***k the game warden. The farmer rolled out his game warden badge and things got interesting from there. That is how I met our local game warden about 30 years ago. LOL...

You never know who you're talking to, lol.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
IDK.... Back in the day, a guy could say, "where is your tag?"

Funny story. It was opening day of bow season. I stopped by the local store after the afternoon hunt to get a drink. I walked out to see a couple guys looking in the back of the truck. I walked over and saw a dead buck laying there. I sad congrats on the buck. They guy went on the normal elaborate story about how he shot him, etc etc. The other guy (Farmer) was asked if he tagged the buck. Guy said nah, I'm a mile from the house. Farmer said, what about the game warden? The guy said F***k the game warden. The farmer rolled out his game warden badge and things got interesting from there. That is how I met our local game warden about 30 years ago. LOL...

I love this story and attached tags. Two thoughts, in stead of just one GW or so per county deputize a group of volunteers from each area, a little bit of training and people would be scared to show off their untagged deer for fear of who they are showing it off to. Also imagine how social media would change, you post your buck, it better have a tag around it's rack. It would cut out some poaching.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I love this story and attached tags. Two thoughts, in stead of just one GW or so per county deputize a group of volunteers from each area, a little bit of training and people would be scared to show off their untagged deer for fear of who they are showing it off to. Also imagine how social media would change, you post your buck, it better have a tag around it's rack. It would cut out some poaching.

probably not, they just wouldnt post their pics.but then i may underestimate their ego that needs to have their pic displayed.

maybe that does drive people to kill deer.

Last edited:

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
probably not, they just wouldnt post their pics.but then i may underestimate their ego that needs to have their pic displayed.

Yes, I think you underestimate the ego aspect, but like I said, it would cut out some, but every step you can take to cut out some, could add up. It beats the system now, I would love to just know how many go untagged every year?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I think you underestimate the ego aspect, but like I said, it would cut out some, but every step you can take to cut out some, could add up. It beats the system now, I would love to just know how many go untagged every year?

i think a more interesting question will be how many will go untagged NEXT year? :)

that new limit may be a poacher maker.

i dont really think that. but i may be very naive.

been thru it in the central section (4 to 2 limit) and the jails did not fill up.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
i think a more interesting question will be how many will go untagged NEXT year? :)

that new limit may be a poacher maker.

i dont really think that. but i may be very naive.

been thru it in the central section (4 to 2 limit) and the jails did not fill up.

I think pretty much anyone that obeys the regs in the past will still do so, the outlaw types will still do what they do and majority probably don’t own a license and can’t get one. Hell most of probably can’t own a firearm legally either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That would be a mishap waiting to happen, a volunteer WEO enforcement force. SMH

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Attached tags would help identify the people who dump carcasses on our properties. When we used to have to attach the tags people weren’t s,art enough to remove the tags from our experience.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns

Ego has been the downfall of many. People post pictures of bucks on here and social media that they claim as their own when in reality they have not killed them. That segment of hunting crowd will surely have the desire to brag and share if they do kill one, two, three, etc over the limits. Those will be the low hanging fruits for the rabbit sheriffs to catch.

<>< Fish

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
That would be a mishap waiting to happen, a volunteer WEO enforcement force. SMH

^ Absolute truth.

When I read the post about the suggested deputized volunteers I laughed out loud. I'd hate life to be the person those volunteers reported to. It would be a nitpicking personal vendetta that would involve more drama than a bus load of liberals.

<>< Fish

barney.jpg

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No just that it will force him to be legal....

More importantly it will be another step in forcing everyone else to hunt the way he thinks we should. It will also make him and his crowd feel more like the 'real hunters' out west and up north. If us southern inbred hicks are forced to do things like the enlightened Yankees it will lead to check stations and more influence for his TDM religion. After all...who wants to roll up to a check station with a forkhorn or button head?

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Ego has been the downfall of many. People post pictures of bucks on here and social media that they claim as their own when in reality they have not killed them. That segment of hunting crowd will surely have the desire to brag and share if they do kill one, two, three, etc over the limits. Those will be the low hanging fruits for the rabbit sheriffs to catch.

<>< Fish
This will catch a few but it is the kids who will get most of the limit busters cited.
One kid sends photos of pawpaws deer to all his friends or tells/texts the same info and that kids sends it on and on.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I agree the volunteer issue if not done correctly would be a mess. It would take the right people with the right training and only dealing with certain issues. However, I have had to call the game warden twice. Both times they were either unreachable or way to far away to make a difference. One called back and could come two days later to a rifle hunter in bow season. Guess who knows this, the poachers. There may be a better answer, but I care enough about the resource, that I would love to think there could be a few more people watching over it, and with limited funds, what is the answer?

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
You need to spend some time at 1751 Varsity Drive Raleigh,NC because you don't have a clue as to what you are posting.
Mis-information and/or dis-information has earned folks lots of trouble with the NCWRC.
Your idea about small amounts of grass/crops being OK is patently wrong.
Please stop posting on this until you talk to the NCWRC.

shadycove,

I honored your wishes to stop commenting further until I revisited NCWRC about whether you can shoot a deer for just eating grass in your pasture. The response I received supports that I, as a farmer, CANNOT shoot a deer for just eating grass. For some reason I can't unload the screen shot of the email but if you would like to see it, pm me your number.

This comes from my correspondence with Kelvin L. Moses. I asked, "What are the rules for a farmer if a deer is eating grass in his pasture? When does it become okay to shoot that deer without a depredation permit?" His reply is, "Eating grass is not a reason to shoot a deer. The only times you can shoot a deer without a permit is during the deer season or if the deer is posing a threat to your person or property."

According to him, a deer grazing in a pasture does not constitute as a threat.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
More importantly it will be another step in forcing everyone else to hunt the way he thinks we should. It will also make him and his crowd feel more like the 'real hunters' out west and up north. If us southern inbred hicks are forced to do things like the enlightened Yankees it will lead to check stations and more influence for his TDM religion. After all...who wants to roll up to a check station with a forkhorn or button head?

Got a point there.....

cheapdate

Eight Pointer

Check stations are never coming back. However, I'd bet at some point attached tags will. All we're talking about here is that the tag you currently have in your wallet would need to be attached to the deer after it's killed up to processing it. Of course, the tags would be larger and more visible. You would still report the kill using a phone.
And thinking that a few bucks should survive to an older age does not make you a Yankie.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
I doubt you&#8217;ll ever see tags again. When physical tags stopped, that opened up more funding to go somewhere else because all those tags cost money. With state agencies it&#8217;s difficult to do away with something that was a cost and then go back to same thing that will add a cost. Has nothing to with hunting or poaching or deer numbers. Has everything to do with cost

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Check stations are never coming back. However, I'd bet at some point attached tags will. All we're talking about here is that the tag you currently have in your wallet would need to be attached to the deer after it's killed up to processing it. Of course, the tags would be larger and more visible. You would still report the kill using a phone.
And thinking that a few bucks should survive to an older age does not make you a Yankie.

Look at the size of the swan tag....

Wonder how big they would make a deer tag... How the heck you carry 6 in your pocket? Plus Turkey and bear?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I doubt you’ll ever see tags again. When physical tags stopped, that opened up more funding to go somewhere else because all those tags cost money. With state agencies it’s difficult to do away with something that was a cost and then go back to same thing that will add a cost. Has nothing to with hunting or poaching or deer numbers. Has everything to do with cost
I bet there is no difference in the old tags and the new report card. They are about the same size and all.

n.d.woods

Eight Pointer
I doubt you’ll ever see tags again. When physical tags stopped, that opened up more funding to go somewhere else because all those tags cost money. With state agencies it’s difficult to do away with something that was a cost and then go back to same thing that will add a cost. Has nothing to with hunting or poaching or deer numbers. Has everything to do with cost

My tags were printed on white copy paper in Missouri and they had to be taped to the antlers. You could easily make them where they print them at home.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
shadycove,

I honored your wishes to stop commenting further until I revisited NCWRC about whether you can shoot a deer for just eating grass in your pasture. The response I received supports that I, as a farmer, CANNOT shoot a deer for just eating grass. For some reason I can't unload the screen shot of the email but if you would like to see it, pm me your number.

This comes from my correspondence with Kelvin L. Moses. I asked, "What are the rules for a farmer if a deer is eating grass in his pasture? When does it become okay to shoot that deer without a depredation permit?" His reply is, "Eating grass is not a reason to shoot a deer. The only times you can shoot a deer without a permit is during the deer season or if the deer is posing a threat to your person or property."

According to him, a deer grazing in a pasture does not constitute as a threat.

It would be interesting to see how that opinion played out in front of a judge,the shooting of deer in a pasture thing is alittle over the top to use as an example however if the farmer could show that in fact he spent X amount dollars to plant that grass to feed his cattle which is his crop and deer are damaging it with the help of a good lawyer I think he would get any action taken by the NCWRC thrown out of court.If you look up Wildlife Depredation NWRC it will take you to a page that explains what you can do with a depredation permit and without one which are almost exactly the same.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
In WV I always hunted without tags because we owned the land I was hunting on and that’s the law there, but you had to get a piece of paper and write down all the info and attach it to the deer still. We had check stations until 2 or 3 years ago, then they changed the law so you would check the deer online, get a code, and write that code on the tag. I’d say it’s a flawed system. Because there are several people that could
fall under ‘resident landowner’ (children, parents, tenants, etc) I doubt they thoroughly looked into everyone. If you hand wrote a tag and stuck it on a deer, it wouldn’t look suspicious and I’d be surprised if that privilege wasn’t abused.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Attached tags would make it harder to abuse the system without a doubt. I have no idea why the WRC went away from attached tags. I would like for them to bring them back, but I doubt that will happen. It seems plainly obvious to me that there are advantages, and I can't really think of any disadvantages of attached tags.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Attached tags would make it harder to abuse the system without a doubt. I have no idea why the WRC went away from attached tags. I would like for them to bring them back, but I doubt that will happen. It seems plainly obvious to me that there are advantages, and I can't really think of any disadvantages of attached tags.
Unless you plan on killing 10 bucks this year......................

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Unless you plan on killing 10 bucks this year......................

Believing that an attached tag will limit what a poacher of bucks does or doesn't do is like believing putting up more GUN FREE ZONE signs will prevent more shootings.

<>< Fih

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns

^^^I agree^^^

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

They certainly didn’t make a difference when they had them, and they certainly won’t make a difference now. Poachers are going to do what poachers do no matter what kind of tags you have.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
They certainly didn’t make a difference when they had them, and they certainly won’t make a difference now. Poachers are going to do what poachers do no matter what kind of tags you have.

From what I see when a poacher gets busted, the vast majority can’t have a license/tags due to previous charges.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From what I see when a poacher gets busted, the vast majority can&#8217;t have a license/tags due to previous charges.

I would like to see the stats on how many convictions result in loss of hunting license/tags in NC......I am betting most can go right back and get them the next year.......but you are right....poaching does not require tags anyway

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They certainly didn&#8217;t make a difference when they had them, and they certainly won&#8217;t make a difference now. Poachers are going to do what poachers do no matter what kind of tags you have.

I've heard that 1000 times on here, but that doesn't make it true...

It's actually quite simple. Poachers poach so that they can brag about their kills. That usually involves pictures, and or stopping at a local spot to show him off. A simple requirement for the deer to be tagged - preferably somewhere visibly on the deer's head - would make it very clear in every picture he shows off, and every person who walks by the back of his truck down at the corner store whether that deer was properly tagged or not.

Would it stop him from shooting the deer? Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly would help get him caught for doing so. And there are financial penalties for getting caught. Hit anyone in the wallet and they start to take notice, license or no license.

Believing that an attached tag will limit what a poacher of bucks does or doesn't do is like believing putting up more GUN FREE ZONE signs will prevent more shootings.

<>< Fih

No. It's actually nothing like that at all.

Last edited: