Social media comment explains the opposition to a shorter blackpowder season

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Cutting the firearms seasons such that persons who spent big bucks for a nice muzzy and scope for a 2 week season are relegated to 1 week,

If you spent over 1000 dollars on a custom muzzleloading rifle (as an example) just to hunt 2 weeks out of the year, whose fault is that?

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
If you spent over 1000 dollars on a custom muzzleloading rifle (as an example) just to hunt 2 weeks out of the year, whose fault is that?

Yeah if I spent that kinda money on a ML (which I would) it would have to be in a state with a much longer BP season, or one of those weird states that have super restrictive rifle regulations. For just 2 weeks my $275 TC omega is good for 250yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I remember buying my .45 TC Hawkins before we had a ML season. Hunting during gun season was my only option.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I remember buying my .45 TC Hawkins before we had a ML season. Hunting during gun season was my only option.

exactly,,,I was using a .45 cal longrifle since I was 15 years old for game,,,,didn't need special season just a desire to use "something different",

herman

Six Pointer
I don't think most people spending a lot of money for a custom is not doing it just for a week or 2 deer season.
I have 3 custom muzzy's,a factory savage 50 cal (which I have for sale on here),a ruger 77/50 which I took 7 deer in a row all head shots,a t/c encore took deer with it at 200 yds.
Haven't shot the ruger or t/c in years but shoot the customs all year trying different loads and bullets.
Tuesday was shooting a 275 gr load at 3000fps and a 300 gr at 2900fps.Have a lot of different rifles including 600 and 1000 yd target rifles but love shooting the custom muzzy's more.
If someone wants to use muzzy more they are free to use them during the reg gun season,I have done this more than once myself.have taken at least one deer every year since we have had a muzzy season except one.
My wife had stroke in 1991 the first day of muzzy season so I didn't get to hunt that years muzzy or gun season but did take one with a bow that year before her stroke.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And we all know social media has its finger on the pulse of accurate opinion.

How about people don't want to change the damn seasons because there's nothing wrong with them to start with.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ummm.. These folks do realize there is nothing that says you can not use your ML in rifle season right...

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I hunt my savage all during the regular gun season because we have a minimum height rule here in Wilson county for centerfires and some of my best stands are ground blinds and the savage gives me a bit more reach then the savage slug gun does.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
The real reason we need 2 weeks,, it gives a working dad 2 Saturdays to take his kid/kids ml hunting on gamelands instead of 1.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
First, I'm not a BP person, just never interested me.
Second, BP was intended to be for a "primitive" season between bow season and regular gun season. I'm talking flintlock and capped rifles here. TRUE primitive, not some modern derivative...
Third, today's BP rifles are anything but "primitive" and are more in line with modern rifles than the intended purpose of the season. BP has become the "early rifle season"...... I think the meaning has been stretched to it's limit......

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Second, BP was intended to be for a "primitive" season between bow season and regular gun season. I'm talking flintlock and capped rifles here. TRUE primitive, not some modern derivative...
Third, today's BP rifles are anything but "primitive" and are more in line with modern rifles than the intended purpose of the season. BP has become the "early rifle season"...... I think the meaning has been stretched to it's limit......
Same could be said for bow season with todays compound bow technology and crossbows as far as primitive goes. I live in a township where centerfire rifles are not allowed so i built a smokeless muzzleloader to use all gun season. I call that utalizing the regs to my advantage.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

Thats one of the reason's the WRC deer biologist recommended going to back 1 week.

No difference between many "long range" muzzleloaders and a .30-30 lever action

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
It used to be one week and I was ok with it and ok with it now since I use my ML most of the season rarely take rifle out. Where I hunt its all woods and hills no shot a ML can't reach.