West Virginia considering traditional weapons season

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The third proposed new season is probably the most significant. It creates a primitive weapons season known as a “Mountaineer Heritage Season” in which hunters could hunt either sex deer or bear statewide with traditional flintlock or percussion cap muzzleloaders or recurve or long bows. Compound bows, crossbows, or in-line or scoped muzzleloaders would not be allowed during this season. The proposal would be limited to the recurve or long bows in the four archery only counties in southern West Virginia. The proposed season date is January 10-13.

“We’ve heard a lot of folks in years past wanting a primitive weapons type muzzleloader season,” Foster said. “This is in response to that and we’re going to pull archery into that as well.”

http://wvmetronews.com/2018/02/25/n...roposed-for-big-game-hunting-seasons-in-w-va/

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I like this, although it’s a short season, gives hunters a chance to get out there with possible snow on the ground with a unique opportunity. Makes me want to buy a flintlock. I think others will feel the same, great way to promote traditional hunting methods.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
We did this in the '70s, the fellows who didn't want to hunt with traditional weapons and learn how to use them decided to reinvent the inline...You can still hunt with a flintlock during any season but archery...

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
We did this in the '70s, the fellows who didn't want to hunt with traditional weapons and learn how to use them decided to reinvent the inline...You can still hunt with a flintlock during any season but archery...

A lot of states were also sued over there restrictions on outlawing scopes, discriminating against older folks or folks with poor eyesight that cannot use iron sights.

That is why the vast majority of states today don't go to these type of seasons (PA is the lone exception but even they put in an inline season)

But WV already has a muzzleloading season that allows scopes and inlines.

A two week blackpowder season with one week being "traditional" might have been a better alternative to reducing NC's blackpowder season to 1 week given the opposition the proposal has drawn.

Last edited:

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Already pulled the old Hawkens out and shot a little , I always loved the old patch and ball ,