2018 Interesting Hunts/Boondoggles

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
The Red Stag topic got me thinking that it might be interesting to see what interesting in-State or out-of-State hunts people had planned for the year. Last year was my first trip out to Nebraska and will definitely be going back soon but this year I’ve narrowed it down to North Central Missouri for rifle season due to amount of chasing we saw on our drive through there. Plus my eventual goal is to turn that trip from a one week rifle endeavor to a two week adventure with the first week in MO with the bow and then over to the Nebraska Sandhills or Pine Ridge for their rifle season.

I’ve already got about 10 public land parcels picked out throughout Northern Missouri via aerial scouting, now to just continue to pick them apart and keep adding waypoints for starting points on each parcel. Also have to get in contact with the biologist(s) and game warden(s) in those areas to narrow down even further in regards to pressure, deer here quality, etc. Not having to worry about tags selling out helps as we can just buy when we get out there, helps put back as much money as possible until the day we actually leave unlike what we had to do for Nebraska. Anyone else have any hunts outside the norm or outside their “home area” in the works?

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Ime

Sounds like a good plan.
I have a second year boondoggle planned for an Ohio new area but it's [the boondoggle] a good bit smaller than yours.
IME in 10 other states [95% public land] over +/- 38 years, you may want to narrow your target areas by a couple.
This is to be able to learn the ground better, scout, scout and scout some more. Burn up the aerials, topos and any info that you can root out of the 'net about those EXACT spots. One thing that has helped me alot is to make a trip or 2 to the area before your intended hunt dates. A spring turkey hunt to MO would be a great scouting opportunity with the added turkey hunt for icing on you scouting cake. The cherry on top is a flight to KC and a week of scouting in August [planned/done right, you could hit both MO and Neb], this is pricey in $$ and time but worth it if you can get the time off of work.
Of course you need to use a few days prior to your hunt date to scout as well.
On new areas, THERE IS NOTHING MORE VALUABLE THAN BOOTS ON THE GROUND.:D:D:D

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Yea, these initial areas are for aerial study and then biologist questions like I did with NE last year. Then I’ll narrow it down to maybe 3-5 areas and then keep waypointing specific sections/spots like I’ve done on some (funnels, inside corners, probable buck bedding) already. Worked out last year for us, killed 3 bucks in an area I picked out via aerial scouting and one quick walk-around the afternoon before the opener. I’d love to get out there for a long week to scout and that’s my plan, but I better not hold my breath lol.

Last edited:

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
#hillcountrytactics ?

#thermaltunnel helped me with my Ohio buck a couple years ago and definitely last year in Nebraska opening morning from what I could tell. Thus far, I’ve got some prime spots picked out when it comes to #riverbendbedding. I got to check out those marshy areas in Raleigh I told you about before, prime looking places to spend some time in before November 8th rolls around and head to MO.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if i wanted to kill a big buck i would travel to that border county in Minnesota that Justin knows about, joins big buck paradise state but without the draw hassle.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
if i wanted to kill a big buck i would travel to that border county in Minnesota that Justin knows about, joins big buck paradise state but without the draw hassle.

Just thinking out load here. Why is drawing a tag a hassle? People gladly wait for years to draw a trophy elk or mule deer unit, and lets not even get into the folks that wait 25 years for a sheep tag. Why is waiting to draw a trophy whitetail tag so bad? I'm building elk and mule deer points in states ive never even been to in hopes of one day drawing a really great tag. I'd rather have that than have everywhere be OTC and have the quality take a cliff dive.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Just thinking out load here. Why is drawing a tag a hassle? People gladly wait for years to draw a trophy elk or mule deer unit, and lets not even get into the folks that wait 25 years for a sheep tag. Why is waiting to draw a trophy whitetail tag so bad? I'm building elk and mule deer points in states ive never even been to in hopes of one day drawing a really great tag. I'd rather have that than have everywhere be OTC and have the quality take a cliff dive.

For me, it’s the fact I don’t want to sit around waiting to get in the game so to speak. Rather burn leather and have an adventure than wait 20+ years to hunt one area once - plus getting into the point game for some areas is pointless for a guy in his 30’s, heck even 20’s now. Point creep is very real, Iowa is even starting to see it now. That said, it no sense for someone to not build points while hunting OTC areas. And let’s be honest, if Iowa went to a draw hunt for residents like Western states do with their ek and mule deer trophy areas, you’d hear just a wee bit of an uproar. So for whitetails I’ll do OTC tags in Missouri, Nebraska, Ohio, etc and setup a game plan and build points to hunt Western Iowa every couple years until the point creep there gets stupid. Throw in a Wyoming, Montana or Dakotas whitetail hunt occasionally and I’ll be set chasing them (Alberta Archery zone is a daydream too).

92xj

Eight Pointer
Backpack in Washington turkey hunt in April
Backpack in Washington spring bear, if I draw the tag
Basecamp with bivy nights Idaho elk September
Truck and luxury accommodation mule deer rut hunt Montana in November
Archery late season Washington deer

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Not sure if it qualifies but Wife’s Brother is getting married in Bangledash. My caveat was to be able to chase Ibex in Krgysztan. She’s ok with it so hoping it works out. Seems tag auction prices are way down on Ibex which is my dream hunt and hopefully soon reality. Way up on MP sheep and Markhor. Kind of the opposite of 15 years back. The Ibex are the true challenge and start around 12000’ I heard Tian Shan Mountains “Roof of the World” for a reason. With my insane work life we’ll see how year progresses. Still applying again for Gator in GA and SC and really watching for Salties in OZ but that’s a pipe dream every year. Not expecting it to pass anytime soon.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Now that's a boondoggle! I'd love to chase the herd of Ibex in NM, was actually doing a bit of research on that particular hunt yesterday.

Cootmeurer

Eight Pointer
Plan right now is back to Scotland in Oct, then out to see brother in CO in Dec.

Scotland is stags then night hunting geese and ducks (quite legal and the norm over there). I've killed some really nice Sika stags, but want a better red stag head. Might pick up some Roebucks on the side. Too far north for fallow or little deer with fangs (muntjac and Chinese water deer)

Colorado is to try to target some valuable cats and yotes and make the trip pay for itself (or at least offset the cost). I can fly out for $200, stay with brother, and NR small game fur bearer is $76.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
This year my brother and I are considering a Wyoming antelope doe hunt, this will be the first western hunting trip for both of us. We’re just going to see if we can get leftover tags and hunt DIY public land. We’ve already begun planning for 2019 though, it’s gonna be mule deer or cow elk; also public land.

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
This year my brother and I are considering a Wyoming antelope doe hunt, this will be the first western hunting trip for both of us. We’re just going to see if we can get leftover tags and hunt DIY public land. We’ve already begun planning for 2019 though, it’s gonna be mule deer or cow elk; also public land.

If you buy a preference point and apply for antelope in 2019, there are a bunch of units you can draw with 1 point, and the hunter pressure is way less than in the leftover units. Just a thought.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure what my 2018 boondoggles will be yet. Pipe dreams are Kentucky elk or New Mexico elk. Just patiently waiting on those draws. I have less than a 0.1% chance of drawing a Kentucky elk tag. I have about between a 1-15% chance of drawing one of the 3 units I applied to in New Mexico. More realistic is Colorado archery Elk/Mule Deer. I also plan on heading to Kentucky to do some deer hunting.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
bit of a haul between those two countries,,,,good luck making it happen,,,

personally I hope to NEVER see bangladesh again,,,,

No interest in Bangledash but it’s the “reason” for being in that part of the world.....and hush about the distances....I showed her on a globe they are “right next to each other?”

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No interest in Bangledash but it’s the “reason” for being in that part of the world.....and hush about the distances....I showed her on a globe they are “right next to each other?”

with ya Brother,,,,dang near driving distance!!

badlandbucks

Ten Pointer
Yesterday I applied for the last of my western tags of the year. So thus far I have applied for Kentucky Elk, Wyoming Elk, Wyoming Mule Deer, Wyoming Antelope, Colorado Elk, Colorado Mule Deer. All the units I applied for in WY & CO are trophy units so I don't expect to draw an elk or deer tag there yet. But I have 2 Antelope points and the unit I applied for was 100% draw last year with 2 points, so my guess is that will be the only tag I draw....there's always a chance though. So it will most likely be Wyoming Antelope and Iowa Whitetails this year.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Got the Missouri public areas I want to hunt narrowed down and my game plan regarding travel plans and my “scouting” day before the rifle opener in order. Need to purchase some preference/bonus points in some states for upcoming years (Iowa whitetail, SD deer rifle, Wyoming pronghorn and deer, etc). I’ll be shooting for units that can be drawn every couple years as of now and will shoot for the moon down in AZ and NM on first choices.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Just got my application in for Maine moose... Been drawn twice b4 love to get another one. Odds are tough on draw but family and friends make it a very doable do it yourself hunt. Only picked the far north zones but did opt for cow tag as well as bull.

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
I get the opportunity to go to Missouri each year during rifle season, unfortunately it falls during the same time as the NC high school football playoffs and I'm usually still coaching. Only gotten to go twice in past seven years, still waiting to tag a deer there too.