Need help how to contact NC-DOT with Photos

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can’t find an NC-DOT Email contact mechanism that allows me to attach photos.

I’ve noticed an expensive piece of DOT equipment left neglected / abandoned for 2-3 years now.
DOT roadside mowers have mowed around it every summer yet it still sits here, unused, wasting away.
Looks like the trailer hitch has already been stolen.
( unless DOT intentionally removes them so nobody can haul the whole thing off).

I can only assume it's somehow dropped off their inventory list or something.
Finally decided next time I drove past it I’d stop, take photos and send them to DOT.

Unless I’m overlooking it on their website, I didn’t see a way to contact them and attach photos.
Hoping somebody here can help me.

Pirate96

Twelve Pointer
May not have an ability to attach a picture, however most likely someone will reply and you can send directly.

I always found the NC DOT very responsive after the Republicans took charge. Perhaps it has changed after Cooper got in, but I doubt it.

robertc

Eight Pointer
Many of them have GPS tracking devices so if the do get stolen LE can drive right up to the hidden location.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
No problem. Let us know if you get a response and if it moves in the future

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Where is it.
There are several used for wade ave and others where they have traffic like at ball games and the likes.
the hitch is on the trailer I the picture.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Where is it.
There are several used for wade ave and others where they have traffic like at ball games and the likes.
the hitch is on the trailer I the picture.

This one hasn't moved in 2-3 years...never seen it in any kind of operation...brush growing up through it, etc.
Eastbound section of I-540 above Raleigh, between Six Forks & Falls of Neuse.
I assumed there would have been a conventional ball / clamp hitch head on it...didn't realize that straight section of trailer tongue was a hitch.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Look in the last picture and follow the wire cable.
it is attached to the breakaway and is removable and set or locked to the trailer..

As for the area they have run them for the new ramp lights and other traffic in the area.
Not for sure the location but they have had a lot of problems in the area. There was also a lot of work and closures on I85 and they send traffic 540 to 50 and back up to 85.
May not be the case but in the area look for covered signs or detour signs out of place.

What started a few years back was to put detours and signs for areas that get shut down do to wrecks and traffic.

There is still detour signs and the limes on 264 because traffic. They detour on to 64/264 down to 40 and back to I95

Like I say some never get used and may not be the case but they are Just in case of road shutdown on major roads.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like it could become a new frame for a very nice pig cooker... :) J/k... They do need to clean that up, wonder what would happen if the SHP would put a remove sticker on it..

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Originally Posted by Papa_Smurf
No problem. Let us know if you get a response and if it moves in the future
Will do.....

Just received an Email reply about the equipment abandoned for the past 2-3 years.
Personally, not sure I buy their excuse given that there's already been a huge electronic traffic message board mounted on an overpass within sight of it for a few years now.
But never the less, they have been made aware of it and it appears it'll be moved soon.

Their Email Reply:

Hopkins, Joey <jhopkins@ncdot.gov> Today at 10:54 AM
To; (me)
CC: Little, Timothy M

Message body
Mr. (me)
Thank your for your email concerning the electronic sign on 540.
Chief Engineer Little asked that I respond directly to you.
This sign is part of the traffic control for the Fortify project in Raleigh and is only activated if something happens and there is a need to detour traffic.
You are correct about the hitch, we remove those to discourage theft.

The project is scheduled to be complete in the next few months and the sign will be removed then.
Feel free to let me know if you have questions.
Thanks,
Joey Hopkins
Division Engineer

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just received an Email reply about the equipment abandoned for the past 2-3 years.
Personally, not sure I buy their excuse given that there's already been a huge electronic traffic message board mounted on an overpass within sight of it for a few years now.
But never the less, they have been made aware of it and it appears it'll be moved soon.

Their Email Reply:

Hopkins, Joey <jhopkins@ncdot.gov> Today at 10:54 AM
To; (me)
CC: Little, Timothy M

Message body
Mr. (me)
Thank your for your email concerning the electronic sign on 540.
Chief Engineer Little asked that I respond directly to you.
This sign is part of the traffic control for the Fortify project in Raleigh and is only activated if something happens and there is a need to detour traffic.
You are correct about the hitch, we remove those to discourage theft.

The project is scheduled to be complete in the next few months and the sign will be removed then.
Feel free to let me know if you have questions.
Thanks,
Joey Hopkins
Division Engineer

just what I said..... SOP on big projects.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't need to...I've driven past it 5 days a week for 2-3 years...no construction in that general several mile area at all.
It was abandoned, never used in the years I drove past it...look right past my 1st photo you'll see the huge electronic traffic messaging board on the overpass that's also been there and in use for years...there's been zero need for this portable one for years.
PS:
He also confirmed that the trailer hitch was removed to prevent theft.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Don't need to...I've driven past it 5 days a week for 2-3 years...no construction in that general several mile area at all.
It was abandoned, never used in the years I drove past it...look right past my 1st photo you'll see the huge electronic traffic messaging board on the overpass that's also been there and in use for years...there's been zero need for this portable one for years.
PS:
He also confirmed that the trailer hitch was removed to prevent theft.
Gov't paid the contractor to leave that sign there for the whole project just in case they needed to use it. What a waste.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Most likely it was a requirement, probably a stipulation in the contract.

Yep and due to lane closures along with shutdowns they plan ahead to shift traffic on north side of beltline and 540 for traffic going north or west to Durham. ..

It is in the TCP.