Ruger 10/22

remingtonman

Four Pointer
Does the band around the barrel and stock negatively effect accuracy? The bench Rest shooter in me says that could be a problem

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Easily it could effect accuracy. Although tolerances and all the possible variables involved with mass produced semi-automatic .22 rifles counted in the barrel band wouldn't be high on my list of things to worry about with the 10/22 platform. There are various "fixes" for the barrel band if you have concerns about them effecting accuracy.

<>< Fish

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Some of the older 10/22s had no barrel band and walnut stock.
think they called it a deluxe.
stocks still float around and are for sale.

Best one I ever shot had the barrel band, steel, full beding of the barrel a d the reciever floating.
in the old days that was how they got them to shoot.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
One way to find out for sure. Shoot a group with the band on. Remove it and shoot another group. Let us know, I'm curious.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Always read it did, just bought a hogue that has been glass bedded. Guess it will be a good project to see.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I mess with a bunch of them. You can cut the barrel and recrown them. Usually do away with the barrel band and float the barrel channel except right at the end and put a pressure point about an inch back from the end. You can mess with the pressure and get a cartridge it will like and it will turn into a one hole 5 shot rifle with the factory barrel with those mods. When I get the load/pressure I want then I glass the pressure point in and leave them alone. All this is after a trigger job of course.

Smitty010203

Twelve Pointer
Adjust the poundage on the action screw..... I did a test between 10 and 20 lbs in 3 lbs increments (pretty sure, it was something like that) it made a big difference...

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I tried it with the band and without.....it was about the same.
I never got really good groups with my 10/22, I ended up putting a adjustable stock on it and let my daughter use it.

sent from...... Tapatalk