Black powder hand gun hunting

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Anybody ever tried it? I have a Remington 1858 Navy .36 cal. replica. I have had for a long time and have thought about squirrel hunting with it. It is an accurate pistol. Since the NCWRC changed regulations on black powder hunting a couple years ago allowing black powder revolvers for deer hunting I have thought about buying a .44/.45 revolver for hunting. I have been researching to see if I could find one that would handle loads sufficient enough to take deer or hogs. I was considering a 1847 Walker, Dragoon or a Ruger Old Army. Well, I finally decided to go less traditional and go with the Ruger. I figure I can get the Ruger to launch a 220 gr. Kaido bullet around 1000 fps. That should be good for close range hunting. I just got the Ruger, so now I'll have fun working on an accurate load.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I spent quite a bit of time with them back in the day, I would certainly think the Ruger would be adequate if yardages were limited. Work up the stoutest load(within the parameters of the weapon) you can that will burn all the powder completely, I use to shoot over an old white bed sheet and stopped either when I reached recommended max load or found unburned powder on the sheet...

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I spent quite a bit of time with them back in the day, I would certainly think the Ruger would be adequate if yardages were limited. Work up the stoutest load(within the parameters of the weapon) you can that will burn all the powder completely, I use to shoot over an old white bed sheet and stopped either when I reached recommended max load or found unburned powder on the sheet...

I have heard of people using the white sheet. I never thought about doing that. Thanks