NCWRC wants hunters help

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What scientific questions are we trying to answer?

Is the deer population in NC increasing, decreasing, or staying the same?
Where are coyotes and how abundant are they in NC?
Where are other species of concern in NC? Including bear, elk, weasels, fox squirrels, red squirrels, armadillos, woodrats, feral pigs, chipmunks, and skunks.

You run the camera and we process the photos!

http://www.nccandidcritters.org/you-run-the-camera-and-we-process-the-photos/

Blades

Six Pointer
Signed up today, I love me some metrics. Does anyone know how long they have been doing this for in NC?

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I got the email yesterday and was going to post about it. I think its a great idea. I wish I lived near one of the referenced libraries but I may sign up and use my own cameras. I love the idea of recruiting folks to do the 'work', if thats what you call it, without tying up additional resources.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Having worked with quantitative biologists before (biologists who figure out how to count things) I've learned that by the time they are gathering field data they have good reasons for their methodology. I suspect the off trail camera protocol is to capture "resident" animals versus transients that might otherwise be counted in several data sets..... Short of capturing and ear tagging them it is the best way to be sure that they are enumerating "resident" critters.

Lance

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Signed up today, I love me some metrics. Does anyone know how long they have been doing this for in NC?

over a year - I signed up in Oct 2016, took the short course, and have camera traps on private and public land,,,,