Benelli SBE...Time to replace parts?

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I bought the gun about 10 years ago, new. Since then I've carried it almost everywhere I hunt, and taken everything from quail to deer with it.

More notably though, I did shoot a good two years of trap league with it and a few hunting seasons where it got a lot of use and every year its had at least a solid week of good hunting and shooting, some years a lot more. The last couple years, no matter how well I clean it, I get a few more failure to cycles, and I'm noticing a few more failure-to-fires, where the primer is dented but the shell doesn't fire. At first I chalked it up to crummy ammo...

But I'm wondering...Is it time to replace the recoil spring, firing pin, and maybe the trigger springs?

apexhunter

Ten Pointer
If you haven't removed the recoil and magazine spring assemblies and cleaned them in a while I would at least do that. I've always found the Sure Cycle systems to work a bit better than factory and have installed them in several Benelli shotguns. As to the FTF issue I would check your ammo as I've had boxes of ammo with primers set too deep that wouldn't ignite when struck by the firing pin...other than that just make sure the bolt assembly is absolutely clean and properly (lightly) lubricated (and the extractor isn't impeded at all). Many failure to cycle issues with inertia guns are caused by improper gun mount (normally with a quick snap shot) but can also be caused by worn springs or a dirty chamber.

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
look on Benelli website. I think they do a complete factory teardown, cleaning, and spring replacement for $80 or something.

Shipped there and back on your dime.

A duck hunting buddy did it for his 10 year old SBE, and said it was night and day better... (He hunts A LOT. all over the state and country every year. cases and cases and cases of steel in fresh and salt water)
------------
Mine has been getting worse and worse for not cycling light loads. Gotta break it down before turkey season and clean the bore and really get the gunk out of recoil spring in stock.

It's got 15 years of grouse hunting gunk all ground down into the spring housing.

Last edited:

Cootmeurer

Six Pointer
If you haven't removed the recoil and magazine spring assemblies and cleaned them in a while I would at least do that. I've always found the Sure Cycle systems to work a bit better than factory and have installed them in several Benelli shotguns. As to the FTF issue I would check your ammo as I've had boxes of ammo with primers set too deep that wouldn't ignite when struck by the firing pin...other than that just make sure the bolt assembly is absolutely clean and properly (lightly) lubricated (and the extractor isn't impeded at all). Many failure to cycle issues with inertia guns are caused by improper gun mount (normally with a quick snap shot) but can also be caused by worn springs or a dirty chamber.

Agree completely. Sure cycle kit is pretty easy to put in yourself and worth it. I replaced mine after about 7-8 years of hunting including a good bit of flooded timber (where the butt stock was always getting wet).

Last edited:

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the updates...They do offer the post-season service for $95, and what looks like replacement of most wearable parts/springs for a bit more. I'll have to look at it.

For guns that are designed to do what they do, you'd think they wouldn't make the recoil spring so hard to clean. I've avoided cleaning it because I didn't want to take a torch and by a $30 tube of locktite. Sending it off might be cost effective.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ive noticed a few gun companies that seem to offer decent deals on this type of service. I think it is a great thing.