permit hunts?

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Roanoke River is good from what I hear. Chatham game land I think you need a permit for.
You don't need for one the Croatan and Pender but are also promising if you can stand the mosquitos, snakes, and alligators.
I applied to the Sandhills again only because our hunt club land borders the Sandhills gameland in several areas. I probably wont use it if I get the draw..... but I will have it just in case.

Last edited:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I probably wont use it if I get the draw..... but I will have it just in case.

Not picking at you specifically, but comments like this just make me shake my head....
I work with 2-3 guys that do this every year. They apply every year, knowing that they can't or won't make it....just in case.....they wind up getting drawn and never go.
This is the 13th year in a row that I will be putting in for 2 specific areas I want to hunt, that I have never drawn.
Maybe it's me, but I just do not understand the concept of getting into the pool of applicants and lowering everybodys chances when you know that you probably won't go...

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
not picking at you specifically, but comments like this just make me shake my head....
I work with 2-3 guys that do this every year. They apply every year, knowing that they can't or won't make it....just in case.....they wind up getting drawn and never go.
This is the 13th year in a row that i will be putting in for 2 specific areas i want to hunt, that i have never drawn.
Maybe it's me, but i just do not understand the concept of getting into the pool of applicants and lowering everybodys chances when you know that you probably won't go...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am staying out this year because I did not go on my last draw hunt weekend.... let someone get it that has no private spots

MAM3006

Six Pointer
Myself and several friends apply each year for deer permits on several of the more popular tracts on the URR. We have been told by a reliable source that several hunt clubs adjacent to these tracts REQUIRE their members to apply for these permits. Their intention is to never hunt the tract themselves but to keep others from actually getting permits to hunt it. Guess it is their way of keeping people off land next to to theirs so it doesn't get as much pressure. Wouldn't doubt the same thing happens for turkeys I am sure.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
So, who would be in favor of preference points for turkey draw hunts? Obviously, those who have never been drawn but how much opposition from those lucky folks who always get a draw?

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
I used to be hard on hunters that draw and don't hunt their draws. I have to say that I opted out of both of my impoundment draws this year. However, I did scout the locations both times and both times there was insufficient water in the impoundment to hunt the location I had planned and one of those days I was going to go anyway but I confirmed that there was over an inch of ice on what water it did have, the night before. I did see a lot of deer sign though. I couple years ago a guy posted that he had drawn multiple places (turkey) on the same weekend and had to decide which one to pick. I would never do that.

FYI, I have drawn BFNGL for turkey many times and NEVER been successful. In fact, if I had ever seen a gobbler I feel like I would have killed it. I learn more each time I draw.

Last edited:

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
So, who would be in favor of preference points for turkey draw hunts? Obviously, those who have never been drawn but how much opposition from those lucky folks who always get a draw?

Im not so much in favor for preference points as I am for other ways to "solve" the problem.
A.) If the GL you wish to hunt has 5 choices and you know that you can only go on the 3rd hunt, put in for that hunt only. Make it your first and only choice and if you get it you are good to go. No law says you have to fill in every choice slot, leave the rest open for others to have a chance.
B.) Make the hunt permits transferable to another licensed hunter thru the NC Alvin system. We all have assigned customer numbers and thru their system, you could "assign" the permit to another customer number provided they have not already drawn a permit for the same area so they don't wind up with 2 permits.
C.) If you have no intentions of going, do not put in for the hunt. You are not only taking away one permit, you are throwing your name in the hat for up to 5 choices, depending on the specific GL. Stop muddying up the water.

Option C is the one that grinds my gears the most, as mentioned in my previous post. It is because I have 3 friends that do it every year. They do it just to see if they can draw...then... they decide if they can make it. But every year, travel ball for their kids, family reunions and lack of vacation time hinder them from going and they wind up eating the tag. I literally beg them to stop....
Of course the ncwrc loves it. It is free money with virtually no impact on the resource. Off my soapbox now....sorry.

Last edited:

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
The permit hunts will NEVER be transferable. When I brought up the subject of transfer or "stand-by" permits to make up for the no shows I was told they would drop the overall number of opportunities to account for 100% participation. Seems there is a magic number, at least with the one depot manager I spoke with, of participation they desire.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not picking at you specifically, but comments like this just make me shake my head....
This is the 13th year in a row that I will be putting in for 2 specific areas I want to hunt, that I have never drawn.
Maybe it's me, but I just do not understand the concept of getting into the pool of applicants and lowering everybodys chances when you know that you probably won't go...
Depends on if I tag out. Last year I got a draw and then tagged out in Harnett.
Year before I didn't get the draw but I had a place in mind to use the tag, but woodmoose who is in the same hunt club with me, got the draw and killed a bird on the last day I believe.
I had a bird pegged and roosted back on the youth day that season beside one of our tracts that bordered close to the Sandhills gameland. That same bird gave several of our club members the slip only to get killed by woodmoose on the last day ...I think.
I also did not tag out that same season so I would have used the permit had I got the draw. So you never know and that's why I think most hunters apply for a permit.
Don't worry I probably wont get the draw but if woodmoose applies for a permit and gets the draw.... then you can scratch one bird off the Sandhills gameland;)
Woodmoose is a turkey hunting jedi

Last edited:

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
Myself and several friends apply each year for deer permits on several of the more popular tracts on the URR. We have been told by a reliable source that several hunt clubs adjacent to these tracts REQUIRE their members to apply for these permits. Their intention is to never hunt the tract themselves but to keep others from actually getting permits to hunt it. Guess it is their way of keeping people off land next to to theirs so it doesn't get as much pressure. Wouldn't doubt the same thing happens for turkeys I am sure.
Where is WRCDirector when you need him.

shadycove

Twelve Pointer
I and a few friends have asked for this at every public hearing for many years.
For anyone who would like to ask for a PP lottery, you still have 2 days to go online and add said comment at NCWRC.org.
So easy a caveman could do it.

gameland

Twelve Pointer

Happens ALOT! Not sure how to regulate it to make sure people don’t apply just to keep others off but something needs to be done.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

that's down right hard core right there!

it all doesn't bother me - it's a simple draw - everyone has the same chance of drawing a particular hunt as anyone else.

lots of reasons that folks don't hunt if they get drawn (besides these sneaky fellows in the quote above),, work events, sickness, tagged out, got invited on an AWESOME hunt/fish trip somewhere else, scouted it and there was no game, whatever,,,,

lots of reasons,,,
---------------------

no I don't want a preference or bonus point system,,,,in 5-10 years you all wouldn't like it either, especally if it was preference point,,,,just look at the systems out west - folks are starting to complain big time because many are locked out from ever having the chance to hunt the better areas due to point creep,,,,,,

I'll vote for a simple lottery for now, thanks

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I and a few friends have asked for this at every public hearing for many years.
For anyone who would like to ask for a PP lottery, you still have 2 days to go online and add said comment at NCWRC.org.
So easy a caveman could do it.

Doing it this morning thanks for reminder. I do wonder if it does any good I've been asking about this and another topic which is why they wont put that 5000 acres of Caswell restricted land in permit system that land doesn't get one single turkey hunter allowed on it and its state land with 5 nice food plots only used for fall. I'm not even asking for myself but at least for disabled hunt there is only one in state for disabled turkey kinda sad. Anyway nothing has ever come of it

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can confirm that also.....the ones I saw this morning were not really there either......

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm kind of glad all the permit holders don't show when I'm on a permit hunt. I stopped applying for the ones I never got, but they weren't first choices any how. I'm kind of curious as to how the eastern zone deer permit hunts will be affected by the season changes, if the NCWRC purposed changes go through.