Permethrin treating your cloths

Blades

Six Pointer
I will have my six year old son with me in the woods alot this turkey season. Would yall use that stuff on kids clothes too?

I try to wear a thin layer underneath. Not really a big fan of potentially catching a disease from a tick. I tape my socks over my pants with rubber boots. Even though the stuff works great I still check myself every time I get home.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
Posted by Homebrewale:
Martin's 16 oz 10% concentrate - $14.11
https://www.amazon.com/Martins-Perme...rds=permethrin

Dilute the Martin's 20:1. You get 320 oz. of same concentration as Sawyer's. To buy the equivalent of Sawyers to the Martin's, you would need to buy 13 bottles at a cost of $160.16.

Yeah i saw that but i am not mixing it all up at once. I do not understand the math. Say i mix up a 20 ounce spray bottle.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
20:1 means 20 parts of water to one part of concentrate. You choose the size of the part. In your case, if you want to use ounces, use one ounce of concentrate and 20 ounces of water to end up with 21 ounces of mix.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use the diluted concentrate. Take the clothes, several tee shirts, pants, socks, basically anything you will be wearing during the hunting season and hang them on coat hangers outside. Put your diluted solution in a pump sprayer and spray the clothes till they are completely soaked and dripping (using the diluted good stuff lets you do this without feeling like you are wasting anything) and let them stay outside till completely try. Some people will transfer the clothes to an attic space to speed the drying. Done this way, you are good for the whole season without reapplication even if you wash the 3 or 4 times, maybe more.

Agree...that's the approach I used...since starting that several years ago now, I've never had another tick.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
I will have my six year old son with me in the woods alot this turkey season. Would yall use that stuff on kids clothes too?

Yes sir, don't want to see the kid walking around scratching and itching all day, especially when dad is kicked back cool, calm and collective.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I mix up a gallon at a time and put in a garden sprayer to treat all my clothes and boots at once.

6 oz. concentrate + 120 oz. water = 1 gallon of mixture.

So, just dump in 6 oz. and then fill to the 1 gallon mark on the jug. Shake it up and go.

Last edited:

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Fellas, all of this mix ratio info and quantity is based on the percent of the concentrate you are using. If you use a 10% concentrate, the mix ratio is not the same as a 36% concentrate.

Bottom line.....you need to end up with a mixture that has 1/2 of one percent (.5%) permethrin.

Ferroplasm

Four Pointer
Are all brands of permethrin safe to use treating clothing?

No, not are formulations are created equal. Some formulations of permethrin contain petroleum distillates that you probably don't want on your clothes. Martin's permethrin is generally recommended as a less expensive alternative to Sawyer's brand, if you want to mix your own. Martin's sells a 10% permethrin concentrate that requires dilution. 1 part permethrin concentrate to 19 parts water will make a 0.5% spray that you can apply to your clothes.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Chemistry

Guys i aint to good with math lol!! If i buy the martins 10% what is the ratio to make it .5% like Sawyers?

LOL! I struggled in math and chemistry too, but if you were trying to be as precise as a chemist in diluting 10% Permethrin to a .05% Permethrin solution,think in terms of a 20:1 ratio of water to Permethrin. Therefore: Add 1 oz (10% Permethrin) to 19 oz water to make a 20 oz .05% solution of Permethrin (this is the equivalent to commercial Sawyers aerosal or liquid Permethrin sold in Walmart,etc) and then so on: 1.6 oz of !0% Permetrin to 30.4 oz of water makes 32 oz (1 quart); 6.4 oz of 10% Permethrin to 121.6 oz of water makes 128 oz (1 gallon). This is the same result as other forum members more simply apply. A small amount one way or the other is not going to harm you.

Last edited:

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I am not proud of this...but I want to be honest with you all. This is one of the most gratifying things in life for me.

I treat my hunting clothes with permethrin religiously. Occasionally however, I will find a tick crawling on my pants after a morning's hunt. At first I am shocked and upset to find a tick crawling on my treated clothes. How dare he?! Has my trusted permethrin failed me? Upon closer inspection however, I quickly realize that the tick is not "right". It appears to be confused, wandering in circles, desperately seeking escape. I watch patiently, with anxious anticipation. The tick soon begins to writh and twitch...as if in tremendous pain. It is succumbing to the toxin...enduring a slow-but-sure, agonizing death.

I smile in sinister victory. My heart is warm.

Yea....me too. I get just as much enjoyment out of putting them in the freezer when I find them crawling on someone else who doesnt have permethrin on.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Until I was 35 years old a tick never bit me,,,,,crawled on me yes, but never had one imbed. Had something to do with acid level in my body.

Couldn't wear a watch that had metal touching my skin either, metal would corrode

Don't have that anymore

Better on watches but dang the ticks

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Until I was 35 years old a tick never bit me,,,,,crawled on me yes, but never had one imbed. Had something to do with acid level in my body.

Couldn't wear a watch that had metal touching my skin either, metal would corrode

Don't have that anymore

Better on watches but dang the ticks

IMG_1384-640x358.jpg

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Yea....me too. I get just as much enjoyment out of putting them in the freezer when I find them crawling on someone else who doesnt have permethrin on.

Glad to know I'm not the only warped one out there. :)

Also, I enjoyed reading the 10-yr old tick repellent thread. Proves that we don't need new subject matter to keep us entertained. If we just wait long enough we can recycle old topics as-new!