440 yds.....

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Why would you think that coyotes wouldn't run a rabbit? They're canines, just like beagles, right? Seems to me they'd run them just like beagles, except at 4x the speed since they're about 4X taller.

Beagles are fed at home and don’t have to worry about calories out vs calories in. Coyotes have the unconscious ticker in them that says the risk (calorie consumption) isn’t worth the reward.

Plus you’re talking a sight “hound” vs. a trail hound. Out of sight and out of mind for the most part when it comes to hunting for a coyote, save “mousing” and initial location of prey.

Last edited:

sjohn

Button Buck
Found a picture of the wood ducks my bird dog ran down. No rabbit in the photo. this same dog ran down the cane cutter. It must have been 10 years ago too. Posted picture was from 2007. Here I thought it was only 5 years ago.

I cook the cane cutters in a crock pot. then pull the meat off the bones and put it in a red sauce. Serve over pasta. Otherwise it would be 'chewy'. Woodcock 1-28-07 035.jpg

specialk

Twelve Pointer
I crockpot them too, my granny would use the old presto pressure cooker-the kind with the jiggler on top-but she was more brave than I!!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Found a picture of the wood ducks my bird dog ran down. No rabbit in the photo. this same dog ran down the cane cutter. It must have been 10 years ago too. Posted picture was from 2007. Here I thought it was only 5 years ago.

I cook the cane cutters in a crock pot. then pull the meat off the bones and put it in a red sauce. Serve over pasta. Otherwise it would be 'chewy'. View attachment 59666

As the meat for some tomato sauce and served like you said on pasta (I prefer angel hair) is my favorite

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I agree with you. I don’t understand how predators would make a rabbit run further. Coyotes, foxes and cats are not gonna “run” a rabbit. If they jump one, they may give chase for couple seconds, but it benefits them in no way to burn energy and calories “running” a rabbit. They’re more into the stalk and pounce or catch’em in their bed. Rabbits running further just does not jive with how these predators capture their prey. Running further actually increases their chances of being caught.

Seen a fox run a rabbit. Chase went on and on seemed like ..they circled my stand in a cut over and I saw the several times runn8ng across lanes. The rabbit lost.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
So...what we have been calling swamp rabbits are actually marsh rabbits. Glad I read this. Guess we will have a rabbit class on our last hunt Tuesday. Lol. Glad it is to rain and be cooler. Yesterday was a little rough.