Anyone use thermacell during turkey season?

Blades

Six Pointer
I noticed today on the property that they are already out. I’ve just about had it with that annoying buzzing in my face and ears after a few years. I’ve been busted waiving at them in the past:mad:.

If not, do any of you guys have any other remedies other than just sucking it up?

Permethrin is a must as well in my area, ticks get really bad in the spring but that stuff works wonders.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
If there is a chance of a skeeter in the air I have a thermacell goin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
Wouldn't hit the woods without one and a butt load of replacement butane and scent wafers. It's a game changer.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I turkey hunted in Jamesville NC with my step dad a couple years back. He had his thermacell running not 20 feet from me and I had nothing. I’m pretty sure every mosquito in eastern nc was on me. Not one touched him.
I bought a thermacell the following day. Best early season investment for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I have one, never use it. All my clothes are treated, I just don't see enough skeeters to bring one. I have used it in a blind though

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Where I hunt in Mr nd skeeters are not much issue unless I'm hunting late in season but if I'm in SC anywhere weather has warmed I would for sure have one if you do any early bow deer hunting you'll be thankful for it as well

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Skeeters are already getting thick down east after all these rains and temps rising. Heck, I could use my ThermoCell in the house some nights if I leave the doors or windows open too long

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Yep...my Thermacell becomes essential turkey hunting gear as soon as the weather warms up enough for mosquitos to start buzzin'. Permethrin too.

m23cbl

Six Pointer
I just spray down with a good bug spray. Thank God turkeys cant smell good or you'd never kill one. Depends on how you hunt. Thermacell is great if you're sitting for a while. Not so good if you walk and call a lot.

Blades

Six Pointer
I just spray down with a good bug spray. Thank God turkeys cant smell good or you'd never kill one. Depends on how you hunt. Thermacell is great if you're sitting for a while. Not so good if you walk and call a lot.

No joke, if they had a nose like a nanny doe I would never be successful. My pop up blind gets indicated bad but my natural blinds aren’t nearly as bad. I’ll just find a limb and hang it close if I have to move around.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
no i do not need anything else to take in the turkey woods.

that being said i sure have wished for something sitting on the edge of a pee dee swamp.

My legs were covered one am. i had taken care of the upper body and face but they seemed to be drinking my blood and the permethrin on my pants. LOL

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I try not to do sitting still long while Turkey hunting.. so no I do not use my Thermacell for that kind of hunt.. if I were to go with the intention of staying in one place long I would have one.. and I agree with others.. the fact that I can use bug spay and not worry about the smell helps me not need it.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I just put a little insect repellent on my exposed skin and go hunt. Mosquitoes don't bother me a lot. It's the ticks I am adamant about guarding against, with permethrin.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I think a better question would be.....who DOESNT use a thermocell during turkey season? :D Mosquitos = Unnecessary evil.

Actually, after reading the responses, its more than I would have thought. good points about mobile hunting vs sitting for long periods. I use one for sure.

Last edited:

Taproot

I would not turkey hunt without my Thermocell. Just wish I had invented the darn thing.

Last edited by a moderator: