Signs of spring ????

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How’s the red maple trees looking hawglips ? Surely y’all are getting antsy for spring, weather looks great in east NC this week

Fresh 6” of wet snow here this afternoon with of course the never ending cloud cover haha

Always enjoy yalls posts about spring progression.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There were trees blooming this evening at the movie theater in Winston Salem. I assume the were some type of cherry trees. I mowed the lawn yesterday before the rain. Seems to coming on us like usual.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Ahhh those are the types of posts I like, i planted several forsythia bushes on the side of my house that I inspect everyday waiting on spring lol..no sign of life from my daffodils yet either

Can’t wait to mow the grass, chase turkeys and plant tomatoes!

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Looking at the yard this afternoon I see that it needs to be mowed this week if it will dry up.
The buds are ready to bust on several tree species.
Several pairs of mating doves have shown back up regular this past week.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
How’s the red maple trees looking hawglips ? Surely y’all are getting antsy for spring, weather looks great in east NC this week

Fresh 6” of wet snow here this afternoon with of course the never ending cloud cover haha

Always enjoy yalls posts about spring progression.

The red maples in that warm spot in Garner have been in bloom since before the snow we got.

All of the red maples I look at now are in bloom.

Saw daffodils blooming all over this morning.

A tulip tree is in full bloom in Garner. Lots of bradford pears are about to open up. My blueberries are opening, and will surely be well on the way by the end of this warm spell. So, I'm prepared to lose most of them again this year when we get another cold snap in March...

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I just went scouting. Flushed a gobbler out of a tree at 1pm. Two birds were in the trees but one was definitely a longbeard. I guess they wanted a nap after lunch.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Im about 15 miles south of Hickory right now seeing a man about some land. Got 3 gobbling their brains out for the past 45 min.
The hens may not be ready but these guys sure are feeling froggy, and it does my soul good to hear it.

Taproot

Jonquils are blooming. Saw the first iris blooming this week. Dogwoods are not quite ready.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Got warm weather for the foreseeble forecast. Looks like we are either gonna have an extra early spring this year, or all the early bloomers are gonna get creamed by the next freeze.

If it ends up being an extra early spring, gonna be interesting to see how it will affect our season since it's opening up about as late as it ever does this year.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The daffodils have came out of the ground and silver maples and elms along the Ohio river are blooming... doesn’t really mean much, but spring is definitely getting closer!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Got warm weather for the foreseeble forecast. Looks like we are either gonna have an extra early spring this year, or all the early bloomers are gonna get creamed by the next freeze.

If it ends up being an extra early spring, gonna be interesting to see how it will affect our season since it's opening up about as late as it ever does this year.
I was thinking the same thing . Might be a bad year for harvests......

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heard 1 gobbling a few times on the roost this morning close to where I got my 2 birds last year in Harnett

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was thinking the same thing . Might be a bad year for harvests......

Why I hate early spring due to I hate the heat last year we were hitting 80 in March and harvest was good I think turkey hunting has reached a popularity level that even with early spring as long as birds are there it'll be another high harvest year. The birds will be ready when their ready no matter what o feel for eastern guys having hunt heat for us mtn hunters doesn't affect us much

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns

do you think it matters? in the past a lack of gobbling may have cut down on kills, but now?

it sure does make for some extended warm morning listening though . :)

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
do you think it matters? in the past a lack of gobbling may have cut down on kills, but now?

it sure does make for some extended warm morning listening though . :)

The older I get and the more turkey seasons I get under my belt the less I know about why they do whatever they do...

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The older I get and the more turkey seasons I get under my belt the less I know about why they do whatever they do...

well my point was that not as many hunters need one to be vocal now to kill them. so early or late spring doesnt seem to be a factor.

many are already set up and need no gobbling to help in their kill.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
well my point was that not as many hunters need one to be vocal now to kill them. so early or late spring doesnt seem to be a factor.

many are already set up and need no gobbling to help in their kill.

I really don’t understand how guys find them to kill em if they’re not vocal and responsive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
For us that hunt mtns the later opening is much better this is my favorite opener more breeding has occurred and finally get some lonely birds. They are kilable there into end May.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I really don’t understand how guys find them to kill em if they’re not vocal and responsive

Like Oldest School says, they find a field that is being used and just sit in a blind till the come out and get close.........kinda.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

Scouting either by finding fresh sign or just seeing strutters they they sit in blind and deer hunt em. Even with early spring or late season hunting gobblers still willing to breed willing hen and still get at least roost gobbles from many. Truth is lot birds are dead by late season so the amt gobbling heard greatly decreases

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Scouting either by finding fresh sign or just seeing strutters they they sit in blind and deer hunt em. Even with early spring or late season hunting gobblers still willing to breed willing hen and still get at least roost gobbles from many. Truth is lot birds are dead by late season so the amt gobbling heard greatly decreases

it amazes me when you hear folks say that they arent hearing as many. it is hard to hear teh dead ones. :)

It will be interesting to see exactly what percentage is killed early.

we can see that now with the real time kill reporting.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns

I get that the more vocal toms tend to die quicker and that’s some of the reason it gets quiet later in the season. I just don’t think I could reasonably hunt a non vocal bird, sure I usually know which fields they use but without locating a bird first then getting in-between him and the field, that doesn’t seem very productive.