Local news article on proposed deer season changes

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Link does not work and I am not sure how to get it to copy and paste on my phone

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Opposition East and West. Both areas having retired employees of the NCWRC opposing changes and they were the ones around that built the herds. It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

pinehunter

Eight Pointer
At this point the seasons seem pretty well defined. We just have to give them some time and see how it works. It doesn't change much in the east except cutting black powder in half, which in all reality won't hurt too many people. I enjoy black powder so I am a little bummed.

Here dog pressure over the long run really curbs day time buck movement. That's not going to change. I don't kill more than a buck or two a season so the bag limits don't bother me. It's going to change so might as well go with it.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Lot of opposition from bear hunters

I just don't see that,more opposition from deer hunters than from bear hunters.I had breakfast with 6 big time bear hunters this morning they like me will just go with the flow of course none of us hunt public land that much and I have not gone to all the meetings.We deal with deer hunters downeast all season both still and deer doggers with very little problem.Its just something both groups will have to deal with,if you are deer hunting on public land an bear season is in you should realize there is a chance bear hunters could cast some hounds in the same block you are in,same thing for bear hunters if deer season is in there is a chance deer hunters could be in the block you cast your hounds in.Both groups downeast know this some may not like it but it's the way it is no need to get all bent out of shape about it.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I have no problems with bear hunters not wanting to share the woods with deer hunters.

One group uses dogs, one group does not and cannot (in the western end of the state).

Usually if bear hunters oppose something in Districts 8 and 9, it gets rejected or amended.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wednesday hunters will be able to listen live to the WRC meeting on their website

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Interesting folks supported shifting either-sex days far more on game lands than private lands

Changes to deer seasons supported for game lands but not private lands (District 8 supported deer season changes for private lands)

Interesting

Last edited:

fats

Four Pointer
Based on the Opposition alone at the Rocky Mount and Edenton meetings, things should be a no go for the new changes in the Eastern Region.

I know there are some areas with down numbers but no need to change half the state on a few areas. Most clubs and hunters are way ahead of the State when it comes to management.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet. What does this mean. I'm befuzzled. H2 - Utilize the current (2017-2018) season structures for the 2018-2019 Deer Seasons, with the proposed statewide antlered (2) and anterless (4) bag limits and bonus anterless deer tag restriction to the Urban Archery Season.

CJF

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does that mean season date structure stays the same. We are allowed 2 bucks and 4 does. Only during urban archery can I use bonus anterless deer tags?

RJ1

Ten Pointer
Got a little compromising going on there,season length stays the same for the most part,bag limits change,bonus anterless tags only to be used during urban archery season.

Last edited: